Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:48:46+00:00

    You would have had to pay attention to whether it was activated to know for sure.

    You can contact Microsoft Support phone or chat options here:

    https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/... but they may tell you what I've said repeatedly here which is that Downgrade rights are entirely controlled by the PC maker. I gave you their Support page on this. I would contact their Support chat to ask if WIndows 10 downgrade rights are in effect on the PC and how to use them to change to Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:59:51+00:00

    What indicator would tell me if it would be activated?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T03:06:18+00:00

    At Settings > Update & Security > Activation under Status and Edition.

    You can shrink C by about 100gb in Disk Mgmt. and do a Clean Install by booting the media, during Custom install choose the space you shrunk then Next to let it configure a Dual Boot and begin install following the gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    After install watch the Activation Status to see if it Activates. If so post back a screenshot of Disk mgmt and I'll help you delete the old install and recover the space into C or as a data partition. If not then delete the test partition and Extend C back over it in Disk Mgmt.

    This is the easiest way to know. You can also keep WIndows 10 and activate it with a Product Key if it doesn't activate, or if Lenovo won't help you with downgrade rights.

    So that's what I'd do. Up to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T03:09:18+00:00

    Thanks Greg!

    I'll mull this over.  But kindly clarify that if it does indeed activate, then it's really legal, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T03:12:57+00:00

    Of course it's legal. You're using Microsoft media to install it, it's connecting to MS servers to find and apply the Digital License. That's as legal as it gets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments