Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:09:30+00:00

    I guess I'm confused about where it says about the Preloaded OS:

    Window®7 Professional 64 preinstalled

    through downgrade rights in

    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or

    Windows 10 Pro 64

      I thought it meant that I can toggle between any of them?  Is that what it means?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:13:28+00:00

    Where does it say that exactly? Which link? If none please provide a screenshot following this guide to capture a screenshot and attach it using Attach Image button in reply box: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/o...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:22:46+00:00

    go to thissite:  Then Click where it says PDF (under the search bar).  You may have to allow your browser to allow pop ups. 

    For instance, first click the PDF link ( nothing will happen because your browser will block the pop up), then on firefox, it will give you an option on the top right, and from there you can allow the pop up.  On Internet explorer, (after clicking PDF), it will give you an option on the bottom to allow this pop up.

    Hope this helps...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:27:58+00:00

    OK I see it now when I scroll down to the third page here:

    https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/TempFile/cache...

    It refers to Some next to each Windows 8.1 and 10 Pro listing, meaning some are for 8.1 and some are for 10. It depends on which came with your PC.

    If it came preloaded with Windows 7 I guess it's possible that it works for either 8.1 or 10 but I would check with Lenovo to be sure.

    But you said that you had already upgraded to Windows 10, so what's most important is if you remember if it activated when you Upgraded to 10. If so then that Digital License is permanent for the life of the PC, even if you reverted back to 7. It should reactivate with the Digital License it assigned when you Upgraded or contact Microsoft Support phone or chat options here:

    https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

    When exactly did you upgrade to Windows 10 and for how long? Did you confirm it activated?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:43:40+00:00

    Thanks for the response.  I only upgrade for a very short time.  Maybe just 10 minutes.  I don't know even how I would activate it? or how it would confirm.  I know the OS worked and I briefly checked it out though.  So does that mean it was activated? 

    Please clarify what I give to MS if I must contact them?  If it does work, though, then it's definitely legal, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments