Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T00:53:17+00:00

    I see Windows 8.1 DG Windows 7 Pro 64 which implies it came with Windows 8.1 embedded Product Key (the first Windows that uses those). You should be able to revert to Windows 8.1, but it says nothing about Windows 10 so I don't know where you saw that as I've never heard of it.

    There is a Lenovo information page here with more information on Downgrade rights:

    https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht07...

    I would first contact Lenovo Support to confirm how they want their Downgrade rights reversed to the old OS. Each manufacturer has it's own way of doing this. Microsoft Support would probably refer you to them, although you can try asking them via the link I gave to chat or phone Support. It's possible that either one of them might give you a Windows 10 key, so it doesn't hurt to ask once you find out what you're entitled to already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T00:43:29+00:00

    Here is the link:  https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad\_T450s?M=20BX001PUS

    But you have to click PDF or Excel, and have your browser allow the pop up.  It's Lenovo's site.

    I ran that program and it gave me a Bios key and a key for my Win 7 Pro, but how do

    I know if the Bios OEM key is really for windows 10?

    Thanks again for your help...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T00:33:05+00:00

    Try another browser or get it from here:

    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_vi...

    You said you saw the Downgrade rights message in Specs, but where? Can you give me a link to them, or post a screenshot so we can see what you're seeing: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/o.... Attach using Attach Image button in reply box.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T00:24:07+00:00

    Ok, I see the website is real with an "n,"  but the like for the zip file doesn't work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T00:16:41+00:00

    Thank you Greg for the quick reply!

    I checked and on the specs of my laptop it says:

    Windows® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled

    through downgrade rights in

    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or

    Windows 10 Pro 64

    So maybe it's a bit unusual to have both....

    So does this mean I get a free upgrade now?  Or is it too late?

    The website you posted doesn't seem or work?

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

    Is the N really supposed to be an M?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments