Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:09:30+00:00

    I guess I'm confused about where it says about the Preloaded OS:

    Window®7 Professional 64 preinstalled

    through downgrade rights in

    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or

    Windows 10 Pro 64

      I thought it meant that I can toggle between any of them?  Is that what it means?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T02:02:57+00:00

    Sorry for the confusion:

    In the original link I sent:  Where you click PDF:  in that file, it says: PRELOAD in the right pane.  Can you find it?  To the right of that, that's where it's located.

    If I must contact support to revert to it, what # do I call, and what do I tell them?  Do I give them the Bios key that I got

    from that zip file you gave me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T01:39:49+00:00

    Where did you say you already Upgraded to Windows 10? I went back and looked and I dont' find it until you just now wrote it and said "like I said."

    If you upgraded to Windows 10 and saw it was activated with a Digital License then it will still be there if you reinstall WIndows 10. You might need to contact Microsoft Support to revert to it, but not always.

    You also just now said that in the Spec .pdf you sent me it says it downgrades from Windows 10. Where? I quoted all it says about Windows in the specs under "Preload: Windows 8.1 DG Windows 7 Pro 64" which clearly says it is for 8.1, not 10. Nothing is said in any specs you gave me about Windows 10 for this PC. In the Lenovo information pages on Downgrade rights I gave you (which are written for consumers and not technical) it refers to Downgrade rights from either Windows 8 or 10, never both. I have handled literally tens of thousands of activation cases in forums and have never heard of both being downgradable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T01:29:08+00:00

    and BTW, thisis where I purchased, but it says there that "...while the installed operating system is Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), a Windows 8.1 (64-bit) license is included at no additional cost." 

    I bought mine a few years ago though, and like I said above, I recall it had a free upgrade to Win 10, and indeed, I very briefly undated, like I said above....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-06T01:23:46+00:00

    This is a bit technical for me Greg....

    I don't understand for a few reasons:

    1.  On the link to the pdf file on lenovo's site that I sent you it  states Windows 8.1 Pro OR Windows 10 Pro.

    2.  The link that you sent on Lenovo's site says: 

    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro to:

    • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

    3.  When I first got it, I actually updated to Win 10, but shortly after, downgraded back to win 7.

    A while after that I did a clean install via the partition.....( win 7)....freshen up.

    Anyway, in the box, there is a paper that says: Your computer is preinstalled with the Windows 7 pro os through the downgrade rights of the win 8 pro license.  With no menion of windows 10.  But when I bought, I pretty sure I recall reading about win 10 upgrade as well.

    But like I said, I already updated to Win 10, and how can Lenovo say explicitly on the link I sent???  I'm confused, and I don't

    understand what you meant when you said, "I see Windows 8.1 DG Windows 7 Pro 64 which implies it came with Windows 8.1 embedded Product Key."

    On Lenvo's site that you sent me, it says:

    Eligible for Microsoft Windows 10 Downgrade

    Below that, it lists Win 10 Pro, to: Win 8.1 Pro, and Win 7 Pro.

    Just like what PDF or excel file on lenovo's site said (explicitly with PRO versions):  i.e. Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled

    through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

    I really lost here...

    Kindly clarify...

    Thanks again for your help!


    2.  When I first got the pc, I actually upgraded to win 10, but shortly after, downgraded back to win 7.

    The issue may be that after that , I did reinstall to factory defaults (just to give a fresh install of the win 7) from the

    partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments