Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-07T19:49:41+00:00

    The steps to post a Win7 Disk Mgmt screenshot are the same.  I copied that tutorial from my older Win7 tutorial for the same thing.

    The Manual refers to UEFI, so right before reinstall you'd go into UEFI Setup via the key given on first screen to access UEFI Setup, change settings to UEFI enabled, CSM or Legacy BIOS disabled, Windows Boot Manager is set first to boot (or will invoke itself during install). 

    Then during the booted Custom install follow the steps closely in Clean Install Windows 10 to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space and click Next to let it auto-create and -format needed partitions and begin.  This makes it foolproof. 

    Your settings may vary a bit so read your Manual to fully understand the UEFI settings if there is any question.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T15:36:39+00:00

    Greg,

    That link was for win 8/10, I'm using win 7.  But here is the linkto my manual.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T03:13:50+00:00

    You would only change the setting to UEFI right before reinstalling.

    Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, which I read like a doctor reads X-rays. Follow the steps here so I can see everything needed to advise you: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/foru...

    I'll be able to tell you if you have a UEFI install. If not and you have a UEFI BIOS then the best practice is to reinstall to UEFI mode to have all of the Security features of the new UEFI BIOS. If you don't want to do that now then leave it in Legacy mode and if you want to do a trial dual boot with Windows 10 I will walk you through.

    But let's see the screenshot first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T02:49:28+00:00

    Want I meant to say is that  the manual says:

    Note:After installing the operating system ,do not change the initial UEFI/Legacy Boot setting in the ThinkPad Setup program.Otherwise the operating system will not start correctly.

    Then when do it change the setting?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T02:32:33+00:00

    errrr.  This is getting too hard for a simpleton.

    What do you mean "I'd have to reinstall to change the UEFI during install, then correctly boot the media as a UEFI device."  This is over my head, sorry. Isn't your guide about reinstalling?

    BIOS gives me 3 options under "UEFI/LegacyBoot:"

    1.  Both   UEFI/LegacyBoot Priority:  either UEFI first or legacy first

    2.  UEFI Only

    3.  Legacy Only

    BTW, the manual also says:

    After installing the operating system, donot changethe initialUEFI/Legacy   Bootsettingin theThinkPadSetupprogram.Otherwisethe operating systemwillnotstart correctly.

    Well, my win 7 is installed now?    Uninstall win 7 then go into BIOS, then install Win 10?  I'm really lost. 

    You wrote in your guide, "If you see a UEFI version of the bootable flash stick..."

    I don't know how to create a UEFI version bootable usb?

    Thanks for your help...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments