Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Anonymous
2019-10-19T17:48:04+00:00

I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software.

Network adapter drivers are the latest.

I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue.

I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks.

Both Wifi and Ethernet are private newtorks and say that in the status.

I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. 

On each PC I see the same 2.

On the PC that I cannot see on the network I can only see the other 2 and I cannot see myself.

Why am I not able to see myself on the network?  If I solve that I will surely be able to be seen by the other 2 PC in the netwotk.  

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T13:53:15+00:00

    I no longer have the issue if disappearing networked pc, my solution was on one pc i was able to find a 2020 driver for windows 10 for my network card using DriverMax, issue GONE, (Desktop oem i7 1st gen , so from 2011 computer. )

    a friend of mine also had same issue , we had to buy a new network card for his desktop as the driver available did not work , people are always blaming Microsoft , but its the Manufactures of the hardware that make the drivers to get things working, slackers, 

    i see other post saying do this , do that, if the driver is working as intended you should not have to do any setting adjustments, fyi .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T13:57:36+00:00

    other thing , go to settings/updates/optional updates and see if network driver update available there, try that one, .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T14:07:05+00:00

    other work around i found might help, if i noticed in the quick access in explorer the other computer was seen there , but missing from network link in explorer, so originally i made a shortcut to the computer or any shared folders on the desktop from that , and it worked as a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T17:29:52+00:00

    None of this stuff ever works after months and months of trying.

    Have 3 PC's on home network. One is Windows 10 home, one is Windows 7 Pro and the third is Windows 10 Pro.

    The Windows 10 Pro PC does not ever show itself on its computer under Network but does under quick access.

    It does show under Network when looking at the screen on the other two PC's.

    The only fix is to Reset the Network then it shows up under Network but after one reboot it goes away again.

    Have tried all the articles for months and months and nobody at Microsoft will ever provide a real solution for this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-29T00:04:21+00:00

    Try sharing ONE FOLDER with:

    • Properties, Security, Advanced, Owner = Local account and member of Administrators group
    • Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok
    • Properties, Security, Advanced, Change Permissions, Add

    -- Local account and member of Administrators group

    --- Apply to This folder, subfolders and files,

    ---- Allow all

    I also Add:

    -- Everyone

    -- Administrators

    -- Users

    I also set each to:

    --- Apply to This folder, subfolders and files,

    ---- Allow all

    Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permission from this object, Ok, Yes, Ok

    Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Share this folder, [ give it a name or accept the suggestion ],

    • Permissions, Everyone, Allow

    -- Add

    --- Local account and member of Administrators group, Allow

    --- Administrators, Allow

    --- Users, Allow

    Ok, Ok, Close

    See if it shows up anywhere,

    • from the same computer browsing the network,
    • from other computers browsing the network,
    • can you drill into it,
    • can you add files to it, can you remove files from it,
    • does it survive a reboot.

    Let us know.


    Next, create the same user on all machines, with the same password, and then own, share, and use a folder with that same user name and password.


    I HATE permissions, Windows 10 mungs them inexorably.

    Microsoft has NO tool for global network sharing turn on and use, no effective audit.

    We are on our own.

    I end up using free Teamviewer for local networking, browsing, transferring files.

    Keep exploring.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments