Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Anonymous
2019-10-19T17:48:04+00:00

I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software.

Network adapter drivers are the latest.

I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue.

I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks.

Both Wifi and Ethernet are private newtorks and say that in the status.

I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. 

On each PC I see the same 2.

On the PC that I cannot see on the network I can only see the other 2 and I cannot see myself.

Why am I not able to see myself on the network?  If I solve that I will surely be able to be seen by the other 2 PC in the netwotk.  

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-09T05:29:10+00:00

    In the control panel, click on the arrow at the end...click all control panel items...Presto. 

    (In case you didn't already check!)

    -Gregory

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-28T15:25:57+00:00

    I could see other computers on my network, but couldn't see my own, nor could they see me.

    This worked for me.  It's the 5th website suggested by Greg Carmack.

    1. Access the Windows 10 Run dialog box via the Start Menu/Windows System/Run option or by pressing the Win + R keys on the keyboard.   Note: One can skip Step 1 and 2 and proceed to Step 3 if accessing the Services settings via search(Cllick/Tap the Windows Start Menu icon and enter ‘Services’  then click or tap on Services(Dekstop app)
    2. If using the Run dialog box – enter services.msc in the Run dialog box then press Return to load the Services dialog box window
    3. Scroll down in the Services window and select and double click/tap on ‘Function Discovery Resource Publication’ item(aka FDResPub) to access the service’s properties
    4. Change the ‘Startup type’ field entry from ‘Manual’ to ‘Automatic’ or ‘Automatic Delayed Start’
    5. In the same properties dialog box ‘Service status’ section click on Start (to start the FDResPub service) – see pic below
    6. Once the status indicator shows ‘Running’ Click ‘OK’ to close the Properties dialog box
    7. Repeat Step 3 through 6 for the item called ‘Function Discovery Provider Host’  (See Footnote [A])
    8. Close the Services window.  Close all open windows and Restart the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T11:09:09+00:00

    I struggled with this for two days and finally found a solution. I have 3 computers on a network; 2 running Windows 7, 1 running Windows 10. This solution assumes you're ok using password protected sharing. 

    On the Windows 7 systems:

    1. Leave the HomeGroup (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > HomeGroup > Leave HomeGroup)
    2. Set the network location to Work network, not Home or Public (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Under View your active network, make sure this option says "Work network")
    3. Don't allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > Under the Home or Work (current profile) option, set the HomeGroup connections option to Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

    Once I changed the setting in step 3 above, Boom!, all computers could be seen and accessed from every other computer. Good luck everyone. Networking with Windows systems could be greatly simplified.

    All of our computers are using Windows 10 so there is no HomeGroup.  Don't understand why it is so difficult to connect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-15T21:14:41+00:00

    I struggled with this for two days and finally found a solution. I have 3 computers on a network; 2 running Windows 7, 1 running Windows 10. This solution assumes you're ok using password protected sharing. 

    On the Windows 7 systems:

    1. Leave the HomeGroup (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > HomeGroup > Leave HomeGroup)
    2. Set the network location to Work network, not Home or Public (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Under View your active network, make sure this option says "Work network")
    3. Don't allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > Under the Home or Work (current profile) option, set the HomeGroup connections option to Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

    Once I changed the setting in step 3 above, Boom!, all computers could be seen and accessed from every other computer. Good luck everyone. Networking with Windows systems could be greatly simplified.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-26T16:09:36+00:00

    Yup. You were exactly right on both accounts.

    Accessing my other PC using the ipaddress worked and pinning it to Start is actually better for me than going through WE.

    You were also right about Greg Carmack's "help". Doesn't matter how much experience he has, chasing a bunch of scattershot links was an unbelievably huge waste of time for such a straightforward problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments