Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Anonymous
2019-10-19T17:48:04+00:00

I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software.

Network adapter drivers are the latest.

I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue.

I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks.

Both Wifi and Ethernet are private newtorks and say that in the status.

I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. 

On each PC I see the same 2.

On the PC that I cannot see on the network I can only see the other 2 and I cannot see myself.

Why am I not able to see myself on the network?  If I solve that I will surely be able to be seen by the other 2 PC in the netwotk.  

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T14:19:23+00:00

    I only noticed this problem when we recently bought a smart TV and found that it could see my PC as a media player but could not access any of the files on it, but it could access my wife's computer and see and play her media.

    On investigation I found that my wife's PC was behaving like the TV - it could see my PC as a media player by not as a computer or any of my files. This could have been the case for months past because my PC can see hers but she very rarely tries to access mine.

    I tried all the recommended fixes in this thread but only two worked - Network Reset and \ipaddress - and only to make my PC visible/accessible to my wife's PC, not the TV.

    Network reset works... but only on the first reboot, because the services are RESTARTED...

    I did it twice and thought the problem was resolved... NOT! After the next reboot, same problem!

    I have to RESTART the "Function Discovery Provider Host" service after each reboot.

    I can live with that for now, as long as everything is ok after RESUME from sleep (which it is)

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T11:48:55+00:00

    I only noticed this problem when we recently bought a smart TV and found that it could see my PC as a media player but could not access any of the files on it, but it could access my wife's computer and see and play her media.

    On investigation I found that my wife's PC was behaving like the TV - it could see my PC as a media player by not as a computer or any of my files. This could have been the case for months past because my PC can see hers but she very rarely tries to access mine.

    I tried all the recommended fixes in this thread but only two worked - Network Reset and \ipaddress - and only to make my PC visible/accessible to my wife's PC, not the TV.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-30T23:32:05+00:00

    None of the Microsoft recommended fixes on the internet fix the issue I have had for months.

    One of my network computers with Win 10 Pro only shows itself on the Network after resetting the Network but after the next reboot it disappears again. It always shows up under Quick Access if I click on the shortcut I saved.

    My other two computers on my Home Network never have this problem. One is a Windows 7 Pro and the other is Win 10 Home.

    This is very frustrating that Microsoft never fixes this problem after months and months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-30T22:46:07+00:00

    I don't understand... sometimes after reboot the computer appears on the network (Explorer), sometimes not!

    RESTARTING the "Function Discovery Provider Host" service, resolves the issue!

    I tried changing the Service to DELAYED, but no change! Seems the service starts "ahead" of time? I only have this problem in the machine with the most recent WINDOWS UPDATES! The "old" 1909 windows machine is ok!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-29T00:04:21+00:00

    Try sharing ONE FOLDER with:

    • Properties, Security, Advanced, Owner = Local account and member of Administrators group
    • Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok
    • Properties, Security, Advanced, Change Permissions, Add

    -- Local account and member of Administrators group

    --- Apply to This folder, subfolders and files,

    ---- Allow all

    I also Add:

    -- Everyone

    -- Administrators

    -- Users

    I also set each to:

    --- Apply to This folder, subfolders and files,

    ---- Allow all

    Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permission from this object, Ok, Yes, Ok

    Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Share this folder, [ give it a name or accept the suggestion ],

    • Permissions, Everyone, Allow

    -- Add

    --- Local account and member of Administrators group, Allow

    --- Administrators, Allow

    --- Users, Allow

    Ok, Ok, Close

    See if it shows up anywhere,

    • from the same computer browsing the network,
    • from other computers browsing the network,
    • can you drill into it,
    • can you add files to it, can you remove files from it,
    • does it survive a reboot.

    Let us know.


    Next, create the same user on all machines, with the same password, and then own, share, and use a folder with that same user name and password.


    I HATE permissions, Windows 10 mungs them inexorably.

    Microsoft has NO tool for global network sharing turn on and use, no effective audit.

    We are on our own.

    I end up using free Teamviewer for local networking, browsing, transferring files.

    Keep exploring.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments