Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Anonymous
2019-10-19T17:48:04+00:00

I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software.

Network adapter drivers are the latest.

I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue.

I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks.

Both Wifi and Ethernet are private newtorks and say that in the status.

I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. 

On each PC I see the same 2.

On the PC that I cannot see on the network I can only see the other 2 and I cannot see myself.

Why am I not able to see myself on the network?  If I solve that I will surely be able to be seen by the other 2 PC in the netwotk.  

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-28T15:25:57+00:00

    I could see other computers on my network, but couldn't see my own, nor could they see me.

    This worked for me.  It's the 5th website suggested by Greg Carmack.

    1. Access the Windows 10 Run dialog box via the Start Menu/Windows System/Run option or by pressing the Win + R keys on the keyboard.   Note: One can skip Step 1 and 2 and proceed to Step 3 if accessing the Services settings via search(Cllick/Tap the Windows Start Menu icon and enter ‘Services’  then click or tap on Services(Dekstop app)
    2. If using the Run dialog box – enter services.msc in the Run dialog box then press Return to load the Services dialog box window
    3. Scroll down in the Services window and select and double click/tap on ‘Function Discovery Resource Publication’ item(aka FDResPub) to access the service’s properties
    4. Change the ‘Startup type’ field entry from ‘Manual’ to ‘Automatic’ or ‘Automatic Delayed Start’
    5. In the same properties dialog box ‘Service status’ section click on Start (to start the FDResPub service) – see pic below
    6. Once the status indicator shows ‘Running’ Click ‘OK’ to close the Properties dialog box
    7. Repeat Step 3 through 6 for the item called ‘Function Discovery Provider Host’  (See Footnote [A])
    8. Close the Services window.  Close all open windows and Restart the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-08T01:12:46+00:00

    Thank you a million Mr Wiggins - you are a Gem!!!

    Your suggestion worked like a charm - many thanks!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-21T13:20:05+00:00

    In you initial post your said "I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. "

    Are you saying you don't think the problem is with Windows 10? Do you have Home or Pro versions and are all three computers the same?

    Are they all in the same Workgroup?

    What do you have showing for Network, here is mine below, my two Laptops are not in use at this time.  Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

    You may have already done this, if not, open Settings>Network and Internet>Status>Change Connection Properties. See image below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T14:19:23+00:00

    I only noticed this problem when we recently bought a smart TV and found that it could see my PC as a media player but could not access any of the files on it, but it could access my wife's computer and see and play her media.

    On investigation I found that my wife's PC was behaving like the TV - it could see my PC as a media player by not as a computer or any of my files. This could have been the case for months past because my PC can see hers but she very rarely tries to access mine.

    I tried all the recommended fixes in this thread but only two worked - Network Reset and \ipaddress - and only to make my PC visible/accessible to my wife's PC, not the TV.

    Network reset works... but only on the first reboot, because the services are RESTARTED...

    I did it twice and thought the problem was resolved... NOT! After the next reboot, same problem!

    I have to RESTART the "Function Discovery Provider Host" service after each reboot.

    I can live with that for now, as long as everything is ok after RESUME from sleep (which it is)

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-19T20:16:58+00:00

    I checked out those articles.  Did what it said if it applied to me.  Same issue.  Still cannot see my own PC in network.  No one else can see the desktop either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments