Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Anonymous
2020-01-05T10:56:06+00:00

I have setup Microsoft Family with my children added as child accounts.

My children can login to their accounts at family.microsoft.com and simply click the link "Leave family group" and they are removed from the group and from any screen time limits etc.

This seems like a serious issue as it negates the point of setting any restrictions if it is this easy to circumvent them.

Please advise if there are additional settings required to prevent children from removing themselves from the family group.

I've checked the DOB for each child and that is correct.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-15T05:48:33+00:00

    Anyone find a fix? My 16 year old left out microsoft family today. Thank the Lord I caught it as I did not even see emailes on it. I recived a text witb a microsoft code that tipped me off. :( 

    I wish someone would start a comany that would keep track of all these changes. Alert parents what they need to adjust. Instead of me playing detective all the time.  I spend way to much time on this. I miss books and paper!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-24T14:45:12+00:00

    I had the same problem but I checked the DOB of my son's account and he set it up older than he was.

    After correcting it, his account does not have permission to leave the group anymore.

    Hope that helps for parents that have "smarter" kids.

    -Jeffo

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-25T13:21:37+00:00

    If your child does not want these restrictions, you might want to talk to him/her and ask why does he not want it. If he gives a good reason like, "its interfering with my online social life and my gaming life." But it depends If he finishes his school work on time and you are happy with him, and also its a default setting for child accounts that are 13 or above, the child can remove themselves. I am against the fact that Microsoft set this monstrosity up for it causes more problems within the family.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-25T15:42:25+00:00

    My boy found a way to bypass the entire process. Not exactly sure of the details, but a little searching shows that it involves killing the monitoring process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-09T14:41:28+00:00

    Hey guys! I just changed the DOB to 3yrs old. And as well as setting the restrictions to a 3 year old.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments