Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Anonymous
2020-01-05T10:56:06+00:00

I have setup Microsoft Family with my children added as child accounts.

My children can login to their accounts at family.microsoft.com and simply click the link "Leave family group" and they are removed from the group and from any screen time limits etc.

This seems like a serious issue as it negates the point of setting any restrictions if it is this easy to circumvent them.

Please advise if there are additional settings required to prevent children from removing themselves from the family group.

I've checked the DOB for each child and that is correct.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-06T10:07:08+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

    I understand that you are facing issues with Microsoft Family group.

    Usually, when you add a Child account to Family group, the child account will not be able to remove themselves from the Family. Only the Adult account can remove the Child account from the family.

    One of the possibilities that I can think of is that the Child account was added as an Adult account by mistake and that could be the reason your Child was able to remove him/her from the Family.

    I would suggest you to try adding the Child account once again to the Family Group and see if the Child has an option to quit the Family group. Refer the article Add members to your family group

    Let us know how it goes.

    Regards,

    Prakhar Khare

    Microsoft Community – Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-06T10:31:02+00:00

    Hi Prakhar,

    Thank you for your response. I've tried removing and re-adding the child account and it is still possible for them to leave the family group.

    They are definitely added as a child as they are unable to set screentime, although they are able to opt-out of activity monitoring.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-21T17:16:09+00:00

    I am facing the same problem. My family group has four Child accounts for my 18 year old daughter and 15, 10, and 8 year old sons. I totally get that my daughter should have the option to leave the Group since she is an adult. But my 15 year old also has the option to leave. However, the 10 and 8 year olds do not have this option at all when logged into their accounts. All the 15 year old has to do is Log In to his account on a computer and click the Family link, then click "Leave family group" and select "Remove" from the popup dialog. No password or parental consent is required. This is a HUGE miss on Microsofts part, and searching the community it seems like there are a huge number of parents with the same concern.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-21T18:02:53+00:00

    Well, I have tried on my son's account and it says that I have to go to my account and log out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T03:23:40+00:00

    I have this same problem, and my son's account is setup as a child.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments