Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T21:29:14+00:00

    Greg, what concerns me is that each time I do a search for updates the update for the USB install doesn't show but when I download the update it appears.  This is very strange since it shouldn't be happening at all, I am not installing a USB device.  I will do the restart now but hope you can explain the USB install that keeps showing up............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T23:58:30+00:00

    Ralph, WIndows 10 has a lot of problems with USB devices so I'd welcome any USB driver Support they can give. It's typical to get USB3 drivers from Updates anyway. But unless these cause some problems requiring to uninstall them or System Restore, I'd try any drivers Update supplied because drivers are the fault of so many problems we see.

    Because of this I would also Update your drivers and BIOS/UEFI firmware from PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

    Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is keep the latest manufacturer's drivers installed from their Support Downloads web page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T04:25:04+00:00

    the disturbing part of all of this is that it exists in the first place. MS's patching and updating system is fundamentally broken and has been for 30+ years. it is extremely poorly designed and way too fragile. they need to scrap it and move to an approach close to how Linux does RPMs or Solaris does PKG installs. both of which are far more reliable., I have NEVER bricked a Linux or Solaris box because of patching or updating. I've lost count of the number of windows boxes I've had to reload including my windows 10 box today!!!!

    when is Microsoft going to "get it" and fire that group and hire competent engineers who know how to software release management, software installations, patching and updates. perhaps MS could sub-contract out the design to Red Hat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T16:27:09+00:00

    It took me almost 10 attempts before it took .Net

    And feature update 1903 to 1909 failed....

    Isnt that right ????

    And it failed 10 times already...

    0Xc1900403.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments