Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-28T17:59:44+00:00

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for your input but the update finally ran successfully.  I will check my posts, I thought I had mentioned it had run successfully.  

    I got to thinking that perhaps an Ap (Diskeeper 2010) I have that keeps my C disk from fragmenting may be why it wasn’t running.  Perhaps it was moving some files during the update.  I disabled it and the update finally ran.  I guess Microsoft software isn't smart enough to identify an Ap that may be the culprit.  I have run many updates before and never had this problem, coincidence, I don't know??

    Thanks again..............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-28T18:05:56+00:00

    Greg, I didn't realize it but I forgot to mention a change I made that may have been the reason it ran successfully.  I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned it until I responded to Tom this morning.  Here is what I left out:

     I got to thinking that perhaps an Ap (Diskeeper 2010) I have that keeps my C disk from fragmenting may be why it wasn’t running.  Perhaps it was moving some files during the update.  I disabled it and the update finally ran.  I guess Microsoft software isn't smart enough to identify an Ap that may be the culprit.  I have run many updates before with Diskeeper 2010 running and never had this problem, coincidence, I don't know??

    I haven't figured out how to mark this post Solved, I will do some more searching.

    Again Greg, Thank you for all your help...............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-15T09:00:43+00:00

    Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

    Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

    What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 - Error 0x8e5e03fa

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-08T06:04:09+00:00

    Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

    Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

    What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

    Hi Ralph,

    Please go through the steps mentioned in this video.

    You can resolve the issue in few minutes.

    https://youtu.be/T\_wmPg6TILg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments