Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T01:34:20+00:00

    Greg, still displaying "Please Wait" and approaching 1 hour.  I will x out in 10 more minutes as this is futile.  No error messages, Windows 10 download was OK, getting updates OK, until "Making Sure You're Ready to Install".  Now the question is; what do I do now.  Very frustrating.

    I await your further instructions.................Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T01:12:58+00:00

    Greg, running the media creation tool and it seems to be hung up.  It is now displaying Making Sure your're ready to install but nothing is happening, just circling dots.  It stated it could take a few minutes but it has been 1/2 hour.  What should I do?..........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T23:51:27+00:00

    1909 is the latest version loaded into Media Creation Tool. It's small so doesn't cause any problems. You should install it while you have me here to help you. It contains all the previous versions and Updates so you'll be all up to date once it's installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T23:04:14+00:00

    Greg, I thought we were trying to update to version 1903.  What are we downloading that is 1909?..........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments