Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-20T15:58:40+00:00

    computer won't restart successfully after Jan update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-19T00:48:22+00:00

    Ralph, double click on the ISO file you saved to mount it as a virtual drive. Then right click the Setup file to Run as Administrator, follow the prompts to do the in-place Upgrade of WIndows over itself.

    There is more about this in these steps for overcoming Version Upgrade problems: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-19T00:43:25+00:00

    Greg,  I did have a little time so I ran the Media Creation Tool and downloaded the ISO and saved it in my PC (not a flash drive).  On Monday I will re-check  the steps involved in the link you sent me.  I took a quick look at it today but am not sure how to proceed.  I will study it some more and send you any questions I have.

    Thanks for hanging in there with me...............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T23:05:34+00:00

    I actually did a media creation tool upgrade and that fixed the issues. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments