Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T18:16:11+00:00

    Greg,  thanks for your interest and help.  I have already run that process and it hung on the install.

    Thanks again.........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-22T21:42:10+00:00

    Greg,

    I decided I am not confident enough to try the ISO run.  I get confused on the process easily.  I am still wondering if I should try what was the original step 3 below which I haven't tried yet:

    1. If that fails try manually resetting Windows Update Service:

    Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop cryptSvc

    net stop bits

    net stop msiserver

    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

    net start wuauserv

    net start cryptSvc

    net start bits

    net start msiserver

    Close Command Prompt and see if Windows Updates works then

    What do you think I should do?.............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-22T21:00:49+00:00

    HI Ralph. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 year Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

    .......................

    1. If nothing else works then do a Repair Install, by installing Media Creation Tool, open installed Tool and choose to Upgrade the PC Now. This reinstalls Windows while keeping files, programs and most settings in place, and is also the most stable method to advance to the latest version 1909. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    I used Greg Carmack's point #7 to fix this.  The next time I run into this particular problem on another machine, I will follow this first because it really would have saved me significant time had I done so.   You need to be an admin to do this.  

    1. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Clicked on "download tool
    3. Then choose Upgrade the PC Now

    **This re-installs Windows while keeping file, programs and most setting in place.**You do not need your Windows license; the process uses the license on the machine.  If fact, it does not even ask for the license; it just runs like a reset of Windows. 

    I should point out that even though I had originally reset my Window 10 PC, the update would still not work.  It was necessary to follow the procedure above to get this working.  I could have saved time had I followed this procedure first.  It was very easy to do.  

    I don't like that the Windows Update process screwed things up, but this was the fix I was looking for.

    Thanks goes out to Greg!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T23:37:11+00:00

    Greg, sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday got delayed by some tax prep issues.  I am still not sure I am capable of running the ISO especially right now.  I need to make sure my system is running smoothly to complete my tax prep and I am waiting for some 1099's to show up.  I have a small side business that is maintained on my PC so I need to wait until that is all done before I take a chance on my ability to complete the steps required for the ISO run.  I hope you don't mind and are still willing to help me when my tax stuff is in my accountant's hands.  Sorry for the delay.

    Thanks Greg.....................Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments