Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T21:29:14+00:00

    Greg, what concerns me is that each time I do a search for updates the update for the USB install doesn't show but when I download the update it appears.  This is very strange since it shouldn't be happening at all, I am not installing a USB device.  I will do the restart now but hope you can explain the USB install that keeps showing up............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T21:06:47+00:00

    Did you try restarting the PC to see if it installs the Update. This will be queued on the Power button in Start Menu as "Update and Restart" or "Update and Shutdown."

    If not then please continue with the steps I gave which work for everyone with stuck Updates like you appear to have. I would give any steps that could mess up your PC, and am here to help you. No one has more experience with guiding you with steps like this than I do, and I will not let you fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T20:53:46+00:00

    Hello Greg, thank you for your response and detailed information.  Unfortunately I am not very technical and fear screwing things up.  I tried the troubleshooter and the reply was it had nothing it could do.  I noticed one thing that was puzzling.  The display when it tries to run the update is a download for what appears to be a USB install.  I have no idea where that came from or if I am interpreting it correctly.  I have created a .jpg file of the screen image.  Hope this helps.............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-14T22:31:28+00:00

    I HAVE NO SOUND

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments