Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T02:26:51+00:00

    Greg, I canceled the install and then I got the message "setup is cleaning up before it closes" but the Task Manager shows no cpu usage and am back in a waiting mode so I canceled it again after several minutes. 

    The only option for the Media Creation Tool was save or cancel, so I saved the exe file then ran it and then chose create installation media, and selected upgrade PC now.  Above you give me 2 options and the alternative download appears to be easier for me.  Your first instructions above seem a bit tricky, is the first option 3 no longer an option?    I have no idea what is going on and am getting a bit nervous.  What have I ended up with compared to before this aborted run?

    Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T01:54:49+00:00

    Ralph, in that case I'd proceed with these steps for overcoming Version Upgrade problems: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Did you install the Media Creation tool, first clicking the Install Tool Now button, then open it and Upgrade this PC now? If so then I would close it out and reopen it and this time choose Create Installation Media, download the ISO or create 8gb+ bootable flash stick. Once the media is ready double click the ISO to mount it, or open the media, right click Setup to Run as Administrator. Follow steps in link above.

    An alternative download site is here:

    https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

    Choose Final 1909 ISO.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T01:34:20+00:00

    Greg, still displaying "Please Wait" and approaching 1 hour.  I will x out in 10 more minutes as this is futile.  No error messages, Windows 10 download was OK, getting updates OK, until "Making Sure You're Ready to Install".  Now the question is; what do I do now.  Very frustrating.

    I await your further instructions.................Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-18T01:12:58+00:00

    Greg, running the media creation tool and it seems to be hung up.  It is now displaying Making Sure your're ready to install but nothing is happening, just circling dots.  It stated it could take a few minutes but it has been 1/2 hour.  What should I do?..........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments