Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T18:01:26+00:00

    Ralph, you showed a screen of your System Properties. Are you being asked by the Troubleshooter setup which version you have as it's Windows 10 v1903. If not what question are you being asked?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T17:31:34+00:00

    Greg, I looked at the instructions again and the only selection that made sense was Windows Server 2016.  As you can see I am not technical.  Is this the correct selection?..............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T17:12:55+00:00

    Greg, I ran step 2 this  morning but I am not sure what identifier (type) I am supposed to select.  I have included a jpeg of the screen, can you point me to the correct selection.  Thanks...........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T01:04:53+00:00

    Ok, finally it went smooth as butter..

    I run windows 10 via VHD inside vmware, one single file ....

    The main station had several firewalls, so i copied the VHD file and other config directory to another windows box which has only norton security. 

    Nothing else.

    Fired up the win10 box, ran updates and BOOOM....it just went smooth as butter.

    I am done.

    It seems like if you are behind the firewall, I dont know how many you have, seems like it needs to be without any while install and then , mat be copy over to behind firewalls...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments