Do you know that whenever I get an email regarding this thread, I get a notice from Outlook of a possible phishing message and possibly unsafe?
You are the only one this happens with..
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi,
I'm running a Lenovo G510, originally delivered with Windows 8, but upgraded to 10 about 2 years ago. A failed update uncovered the fact that there may be a problem with the current installation of 1803. sfc /scannow fails with the message "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation". DISM fails with "the WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file’s resource table". CHKDSK appears to complete successfully.
thanks in advance,
pete vh
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Do you know that whenever I get an email regarding this thread, I get a notice from Outlook of a possible phishing message and possibly unsafe?
You are the only one this happens with..
Hi,
Did not know that. Will follow up with Msoft. That would cause a concern. Seems odd, considering I have to log into account with them with password, post the reply with the community, and Msoft sends you the mail. This login is with IE11, which seems to be supported but now has a few hiccups. Maybe that could cause a problem.
The systems log on this machine goes back 2 mths. It looks like every update of a major function that was started did complete successfully. So maybe the uninstall, reinstall effort won't yield anything. The only anomaly seen was successful update to .net.native.framework.2.2 that completed on 8/25, but then similar updates attempted for versions 1.6 & 1.3 failed on 11/1. Those all had unusual file names; they were not KBxxxx like most .net framework updates.
pete
There is a link in the e-mail which seems to be a mailto type situation because there is an at symbol included.. Perhaps a specific set of digits caused that to happen.
If not, did you set any links in your post with the error listing? Could it be a virus?
I have been playing with the Win 8.1 WimBoot situation. It seems the WoF may be related to that but since you are already in Win 10, the WimBoot configuration is not supported, but CompactOS is.
Good Catch!!!
The original cbs.log output in several cases has a string in the results with an "at" symbol in the log itself. It was in blue and has the characteristics of a link. I cut and pasted that into the community discussion as text. Not sure why the cbs results would be structured that way. It is certainly not typical of how date/time groups are normally presented.
thanks,
pete
Hi,
OK, I stand corrected. It looks like the lines in a cbs log listing contain a similar string when the step completes normally. They appear to be a hex step number in the verification sequence "at" a time. So the overall log entry is time, the string, and a description of the step preformed. These "step number at time" are just normal text in the log. But it looks like when I ctl-c and ctl-v them into a post, they get interpreted as links because of the symbol. Lines with errors or warnings, and some normal ops, do not have the string.
The two lines pasted into the discussion earlier seem to be where cbs encounters a problem and quits on many runs. which gets us back to ncbservice.dll.
There a also many error msgs in the listing that say cbs found files or dirs. that had duplicate ownership:
2019-11-29 08:48:20, Info CSI 000028b9 Error: Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory ??\C:\windows\System32\sl-SI in component Microsoft-Windows-mlang.Resources, version 10.0.17134.1038, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'sl-SI', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
Many seem to be language related. I had been ignoring these. Should they be a concern?
thanks,
pete