Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-09T13:53:18+00:00

    Here's the report from sysinfo:

    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

    Other OS Description Not Available

    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

    System Name CAPERCAILLE

    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

    System Model XPS 13 9300

    System Type x64-based PC

    System SKU 096D

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.11, 2020-05-08

    SMBIOS Version 3.1

    Embedded Controller Version 255.255

    BIOS Mode UEFI

    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

    BaseBoard Product 0WX9VX

    BaseBoard Version A00

    Platform Role Mobile

    Secure Boot State On

    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

    Windows Directory C:\Windows

    System Directory C:\Windows\system32

    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

    Locale United States

    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"

    User Name CAPERCAILLE\neosc

    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

    Total Physical Memory 31.6 GB

    Available Physical Memory 17.3 GB

    Total Virtual Memory 36.3 GB

    Available Virtual Memory 20.6 GB

    Page File Space 4.75 GB

    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    Kernel DMA Protection On

    Virtualization-based security Not enabled

    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-09T13:38:38+00:00

    Ahh its Windows 10 for me so maybe that is the issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-09T00:05:19+00:00

    soleruler

    Sounds so familiar.

    My printer is an Envy 5540 though.

    It is on a network with 4 PCs all printing to it.

    3 have no problems, mine no duplex printing and no photo tray.

    The same issue with "Automatic duplexing unit not installed." but also "Photo tray not installed."

    Both keep flipping back to not installed.

    I could post those exact same screen shots.

    Had enough of being told to update drivers and firmware.

    Has to be a conflict in MS somewhere.

    Doesn't matter how many times I uninstall or root uninstall the printer it's the same.

    Install from windows add printer or using the HP installation file.

    Super user admin rights and all.

    The HP Smart app from the MS store doesn't make it work either.

    I'd be interested to know what build version of windows you are on now.

    Son no1 PC 1903 works fine

    Son no2 PC Windows 7 fine

    Spare PC also 1903

    Mine 1809 no good.

    The spare PC used the same HP installation file and it works fine.

    My windows wants to update to 1909 but don't know if I'm ready for it yet.

    I'll wait for a few bug fixes first.

    Kind regards

    David

    I have been having this problem and have spent several days trying solutions from the net. I found that I could change the printer (HP Envy 4520) settings to show that auto duplex is installed, but that setting reverts to not installed as soon as I try to duplex print.

    My wife has a Mac and uses the same printer. She has no problem.

    I tried printing from my (Android) phone using a PDF file from my Google Drive. I was able to auto duplex the print.

    Ergo, I conclude that this is a Windows 10 problem. I have the problem on two different (new) laptops, a Dell and HP, as well as the one I am replacing, a Surface Book. All have the problem, including the ancient Surface.

    It is tempting to conclude that HP is trying to force me to buy a new printer, but I think this is a Microsoft issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-09T13:49:54+00:00

    Same.

    however it works on my sons version 1903 (May 2019 Update) but not my version 1809 (April 2018 Update).

    So am stumped.

    maybe HP are dropping off printers of a certain age to make you upgrade.

    but maybe like you go Cannon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-09T13:43:25+00:00

    soleruler

    Sounds so familiar.

    My printer is an Envy 5540 though.

    It is on a network with 4 PCs all printing to it.

    3 have no problems, mine no duplex printing and no photo tray.

    The same issue with "Automatic duplexing unit not installed." but also "Photo tray not installed."

    Both keep flipping back to not installed.

    I could post those exact same screen shots.

    Had enough of being told to update drivers and firmware.

    Has to be a conflict in MS somewhere.

    Doesn't matter how many times I uninstall or root uninstall the printer it's the same.

    Install from windows add printer or using the HP installation file.

    Super user admin rights and all.

    The HP Smart app from the MS store doesn't make it work either.

    I'd be interested to know what build version of windows you are on now.

    Son no1 PC 1903 works fine

    Son no2 PC Windows 7 fine

    Spare PC also 1903

    Mine 1809 no good.

    The spare PC used the same HP installation file and it works fine.

    My windows wants to update to 1909 but don't know if I'm ready for it yet.

    I'll wait for a few bug fixes first.

    Kind regards

    David

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments