Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T00:15:07+00:00

    Hi Folks,

    I’ve been plagued with not being able to duplex print on HP 4650 whic had been working prior to a Window install ... thinking it happened in fall of 2019 - i have scoured the forums, contacted customer support and help to noavail.  I have been doing uninstalled and reinstall of printer and drivers to many times to even remember!  Changing the PORT to Standard TCP/IP and updating the Device Settings installable options to automatically configure enabled automatic duplex - it finally .... finally fixed it and brought back Duplex printing to my Microsoft Word printer options!!   

    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your HELP!!

    i’m sure we are not the only victims of this print issue !  HP should be made aware of this workaround and this should be highlighted in the FORUM as a must do if you are not able to get duplex to work with an HP Printers.  Sounds like not only is the HP 4650 but others are affected the same way! 

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-19T18:00:46+00:00

    Thank you very much.  I'll give it a try.

    John Henderson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-18T12:35:37+00:00

    Hi, hope someone can help.

    Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

    I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

    I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

    Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

    I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you! 

    I found that the problem was the PORT setting for the printer. I changed it from WSD to standard IP and everything worked. Try it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-18T05:30:24+00:00

    Hi, hope someone can help.

    Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

    I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

    I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

    Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

    I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you! 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-23T09:05:22+00:00

    Thank you - I tried this but unfortunately the issue has not been fixed! 

    The HP utility changed the Port setting from WSD port to Standard TCP/IP port. Maybe you can do that manually and see if that fixes it.

    Thank you, changing to TCP/IP has worked for me too (HP Envy 4520).

    After changing the settings, I had to click on "Automatic Configuration" - see image copied from soleruler's post - switch this from Off to Update now (hope this is the correct wording for the English version of Windows). Windows then recognized the Automatic Duplexing Unit and now works fine.

    Thanks for the help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments