Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-11T11:29:00+00:00

    I had exactly the same problem as the original poster. Other laptops and mobile printing duplex worked fine. Mine did not (but was printing duplex the previous day).

    Followed the Device settings and it kept reverting back to "manual" when trying to print.

    CHANGING THE PORTS eventually worked, but I had to go through each of the ports on the list to find which one worked, so it may NOT be the TCP/IP port. Try one of the other ports available first. 

    Mine was on LPT3: Printer port.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T14:33:24+00:00

    Try switching the port to TCP/IP as suggested in previous posts. That worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T11:48:36+00:00

    Hi Brenda, 

    Yes, My issues with duplex are resolved with HP 4650. 

    if you read thru this entire thread, i think you’ll get enough info to help resolve the issue.  On my MS Word, I saw something like Print on both sides manually above the place where you select long edge or short edge for duplex.   My printer was Device Settings Used/connected and using a ‘WSD...’ PORT - setting up and selecting a new PORT with Standard TCP/IP using IPaddress of printer and disabling shared spooling - worked for me - I did have to update installable options(instructions in thread).  I did not need to uninstall and reinstall printer - just reconfigured w/TCP/IP and restarted MS word. 

     I still think a Win 10 install in fall 2019 messed up printer setup because it had been working fine until then.    I’m not a super techie but know enough to almost get myself in trouble!  The other folks on thread are the experts.  Thinking, This issue may be prevalent with HP printers from what i’ve read. 

    Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T10:34:13+00:00

    Eventually - by uninstalling and re-installing for the umpteenth time which then allowed me to change the PORT to Standard TCP/IP and update Device Settings  to 'automatically configure enabled automatic duplex'.

    But it could well have been a Windows update that allowed me to change the port settings - who knows? 

    Sorry not to be more helpful. Hopefully using Windows update, fully uninstalling and re-installing the printer (not just remove device) and checking the port and device settings will sort it for you as it was definitely one of those that did it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T08:05:31+00:00

    I have this same issue. Was this ever solved?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments