Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-02T15:39:59+00:00

    Remove and re-install the printer. You can re set it as default as you want but do not change the name afterward (from eg. "new host HP Envy" of so) - just leave the name it as installed. It worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T18:06:56+00:00

    The same thing happened to me on my HP OJ Pro 9015.

    All of a sudden the double-sided scan stopped working around Jan 2020 I think too.  

    I think HP realized they could make many off of this feature as now it is a listed feature in higher end brands.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-27T23:42:53+00:00

    Well I haven't dealt with anyone but HP trying to get an answer to the question so I can't say much about tech support scammers.  I always use the maker of the item.  Unfortunately HP isn't interested in giving any help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-27T23:33:51+00:00

    I found this solution really helpful and it worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-19T18:44:20+00:00

    Hi friends!

    Upon same Automatic Duplex function loss, and few webs checkup about this , I launched a recovery reverse point from few days before (the HP ENVY 4520 was perfectly Duplexing few hours before ...)

    Hence, go to:

    Settings / Printers Scanners / My HP ENVY 4520 / Manage / Printers Properties / Last tab on the right “Device Settings”

    There you should eventually find the “Installable Options” as “Disable” and greyed!

    Next line below “Automatic Configuration” “OFF”

    Click “OFF” and turn it “ON”

    Back to the upper line “Installable Options” now no more “greyed”, turn it to “Installed”

    Down that tab “Apply” + “OK” .. Exit !

    That’s it, Automatic Duplex function is back  😉

    Hope it’s make it for You !

    For the record:

    Edition  Windows 10 Pro

    Version 20H2

    Installed on         ‎14-‎Jul-‎20

    OS build               19042.928

    Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments