Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-18T12:35:37+00:00

    Hi, hope someone can help.

    Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

    I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

    I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

    Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

    I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you! 

    I found that the problem was the PORT setting for the printer. I changed it from WSD to standard IP and everything worked. Try it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-20T18:44:58+00:00

    Thanks.  Manually changing the Port setting worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-25T12:21:53+00:00

    Can you change the automatic duplex unit setting to installed under device settings?

    It is now saying that duplex printing is installed.

    However when I go to print the document, it is still asking me to print manually and if I click on printer properties when going to print it says print on both sides manually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-09T13:43:25+00:00

    soleruler

    Sounds so familiar.

    My printer is an Envy 5540 though.

    It is on a network with 4 PCs all printing to it.

    3 have no problems, mine no duplex printing and no photo tray.

    The same issue with "Automatic duplexing unit not installed." but also "Photo tray not installed."

    Both keep flipping back to not installed.

    I could post those exact same screen shots.

    Had enough of being told to update drivers and firmware.

    Has to be a conflict in MS somewhere.

    Doesn't matter how many times I uninstall or root uninstall the printer it's the same.

    Install from windows add printer or using the HP installation file.

    Super user admin rights and all.

    The HP Smart app from the MS store doesn't make it work either.

    I'd be interested to know what build version of windows you are on now.

    Son no1 PC 1903 works fine

    Son no2 PC Windows 7 fine

    Spare PC also 1903

    Mine 1809 no good.

    The spare PC used the same HP installation file and it works fine.

    My windows wants to update to 1909 but don't know if I'm ready for it yet.

    I'll wait for a few bug fixes first.

    Kind regards

    David

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-25T11:51:11+00:00

    It is not working on word either, sorry I thought it was.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments