Virus & threat protection option disappeared

Anonymous
2020-01-12T15:46:45+00:00

I have attached a screenshot of my windows security, and as you can see, there is no "Virus & threat protection" option, when it should be in between "Home" and "Account protection". I have no idea how this happened. It just disappeared one day. I have already tried restarting the computer, and running my antivirus. both to no avail. I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1809. I hope that someone can help me.

Thanks.

Search Results

Web result

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-20T08:37:36+00:00

Hi Vishan,

I'm sorry, I never intended to insinuate that you should "install" Group Edit.

I said "Assuming you did have W10 PRO or Education, you would have Group Edit."

That was apparently a bad assumption on my part.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to enable it on your PC. But since you did, see Option One

in this link. In step 1, click on how to "Open Local Group Policy Editor". This describes how to navigate through Group Policy. The link supplies the path that you should follow, to find the policy in question. Two paths are described. Try them both, to see which one will succeed.

When you double-click that policy, you will see the options that you can use to disable it.

"Disable" or "Not Configure". Which will prevent the policy from hiding Virus & Threat...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99493-hide-virus-threat-protection-windows-security-windows-10-a.html 

If no luck.....

You can determine if a policy is involved in your problem by examining this Registry key.

Enter the Registry by clicking "Start" and Type "regedit". Select "Run as an Administrator".

Navigate through the Registry *Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft*

*WindowsDefender* and select Policy Manager.

This folder should only contain Default. If it contains a list of policies, come back and we

can discuss how to proceed.  A policy is probably causing your problem!

To keep the Registry uncluttered, exit by retracing the steps that you used to navigate in.

AT HKLM click "File" then "Exit"

Good luck,  Glen

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-19T00:15:00+00:00

Hi VishanShan,

Your school account, probably has a Policy set, that prevents students from altering

any of the Windows Defender functions. If you are no longer under the supervision

of the school, but wish to use the school account, you can make a Policy change

that will allow you to access "Virus & Threat Protection" again. And let you regain

control over Windows Defender.

See option ONE in this link for the procedure. Assuming that you have W10 PRO,

or Education. The link describes the Group Policy procedure, to "Show" or "Hide"

Virus & Threat Protection.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99493-hide-virus-threat-protection-windows-security-windows-10-a.html

If you can't access "gpedit.msc, return, and I will describe a Registry modification

that will accomplish this same result.

Regards,  Glen

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-02T08:07:26+00:00

    I faced similar problem today. After some research i found out  was that itd to my school Microsoft 365 Office Account that i logged on my laptop. So i just disconnect that account from my PC in the settings. And the Virus & Threat option pops back with no problem.

    If you also face similar symptoms as mine you should try the same and see.

    To disconnect the extra account you logged in just follow the steps in the link below

    And also make sure that you uninstalled any antivirus software you had before. 

    How to disconnect

    https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-manage-personal-work-and-school-accounts-in-windows-10

    This works!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-13T23:18:24+00:00

    Hi Beatriz,

    No, do not delete any of the policies that you see listed there. That location was only accessed to confirm that Policies had been set onto your PC. If your PC is running W10 Home, the policies have

    no business being there.

    Follow this link for further instructions on how to resolve your problem. It includes three approaches

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-is-missing-in-windows/eb3e047c-35e7-4eab-9382-117340e758fb

    Perform the three approaches in this order...

    1. Using PowerShell (Admin), turn "Virus & Threat Protection" on, and see if it will stay on.
    2. Examine your Scheduled Tasks, and determine if a particular Task is present.
    3. Make a minor Registry modification, that will nullify the effects of the policy that is causing

    "Virus & Threat Protection" to be hidden.

    EDIT: If, after you modify the Registry, "Virus & Threat Protection is not visible on the "Security

    at a Glance" Screen, perform the PowerShell cmdlet again.

    Set-MpPrefrence -UILockdown 0  This should reveal it, and it should remain visible now.

    Any questions, please reply.

    Good luck,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-13T12:24:21+00:00

    I have the same problem, and for me it appears a lot of policies. Should I delete them all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments