How do I increase time before the 20 minute lockout in personal vault for onedrive

Anonymous
2019-09-16T14:40:19+00:00

How do I increase time before the 20 minute lockout in personal vault for onedrive

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-23T17:15:40+00:00

    Actually I have completely given up on Personal Vault.

    When I was doing a backup of my OneDrive to an external drive, I forgot to exclude Personal Vault (which on my machine is empty) and it hung the backup process (which was just a Copy via File Explorer).

    Personal Vault is a half-baked solution to nothing, and I hope they make it an option, as I don't want it. What purpose does it serve?

    1. If I have no malware on my PC, Personal Vault serves no useful function.
    2. If I DO have malware on my PC, it will get to see in Personal Vault if it just waits till I open it.

    So please, Microsoft, what on earth is the point?

    I ran an experiment with an app that kept a file open, let the vault time out, and when I tried to save changes in the app, ie write to the open file, the app crashed, as the file was either no longer open or at least could not be written.

    I lost all my changes. This can happen so easily, at that point I completely gave up on Personal Vault as being too dangerous to use. My data is too precious to lose updates like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2019-11-23T22:29:24+00:00

    I don't advise people to use the personal vault until Microsoft gives you the key to your local personal vault. 

    But it's OK to use as long as you have a backup of the data somewhere else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-24T14:04:54+00:00

    To put large files into your personal vault, just put them somewhere else on OneDrive, the use the web interface to move them into your personal vault.. That is how I got around the 20 min bogus, non-changeable timeout.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-14T09:23:36+00:00

    How do I increase time before the 20 minute lockout in personal vault for onedrive

    Hi All

    Having not used Personal Vault since September 2019 I thought I might give it another try.

    I enabled it in settings online and then went into settings in the OneDrive icon on my desktop.

    Surprise surprise those wonderfully nice people at Microsoft have now given us the option of between 20 minutes and up to Four hours of inactivity before having to reactivate. Hooray! 

    GR

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2020-02-14T12:28:14+00:00

    Hi All

    Having not used Personal Vault since September 2019 I thought I might give it another try.

    I enabled it in settings online and then went into settings in the OneDrive icon on my desktop.

    Surprise surprise those wonderfully nice people at Microsoft have now given us the option of between 20 minutes and up to Four hours of inactivity before having to reactivate. Hooray! 

    GR

    How nice.  I may decide to use it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments