Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T15:43:51+00:00

    I think (from memory) that the 'original profile' folder users.user will now be almost empty, apart from the nuisance ZUNE files.

    If you log in with the original login, you will pickup the user.000 profile, as that original user now points to that profile folder.  MS assured me that I could continue to run with that . . . but I don't trust what MS level 1 technicians tell you, so I did manage to roll back.

    I theory, if your problem was associated with an upgrade (as it was) MS should help you sort it out . . . .if you trust them more than you trust expertise and experience on these forums (fora??).

    Tyler - is the Rollback option not now available under 'System/Updates'?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T23:04:00+00:00

    On my desktop, I have created a local account with admin rights. You're right Bob, that's all that was left in there and I've deleted them. That's where I'm at. Not sure whether to try and copy everything back to the original profile or remove the .000. I'm guessing neither will *fix* things without registry editing from the reading I've been doing. 

    No, I can't roll back because I deleted the old files as I habitually do to clean things up. Guess I'll be leaving them a bit longer from here on out... 

    On my Surface I hadn't done that. I was able to roll back, uninstall Zune and use the upgrade assistant to install 1903 again (as it was no longer showing up in updates). That's what I'm typing on now. Outlook, OneDrive, etc. have all been acting normal on this system. Now I just need to figure out my desktop. What a time suck. 

    I haven't thought of reaching out to MS. I'm not sure where my trust level is with them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T23:41:46+00:00

    Try signing on again. When this first happened, I saw some of the MS reps were saying restarting and signing on again (maybe a few times) is supposed to be able to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-25T14:54:44+00:00

    I have signed in / rebooted many times since this came about. It's a nice idea that it would fix itself but it hasn't happened yet...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-25T17:55:47+00:00

    You said you had another computer with a good profile? A tool like Transwiz to copy your good profile to the other computer might work for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments