Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T07:20:45+00:00

    Thanks.  Yes I started off with a Roll Back, then removed ZUNE etc. before successfully upgrading to 1903.

    You are now in a situation without the upgrade, with MS saying that support for your version 1803 (?) is ending soon?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T08:06:16+00:00

    That sadly is the case. I intend to do more research on other possible causes of the failure, deal with them, then make a second attempt! I upgraded Windows 10  original laptop to 1903 without problem, so suspect these maybe Windows 7 legacy issues. 

    But I wanted to flag up that some of the elaborate suggestions made above were possibly not the best approaches for the relative novice!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-22T21:47:33+00:00

    I do have the Zune software installed, however, I noticed my original User Profile folder had Dropbox files left it in.  This too could be part of the problem.

    Easiest fix is to make a new Profile and transfer your info to the profile.  If the update was successful I see no point in going nuts to try and undo the update just to fix the user profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-23T21:01:39+00:00

    I too have rogue zune files in my original profile. 

    Sadly, I ran the update thinking it probably had downloaded already and just needed to install. I'm on a slow connection so I ran it, updated and cleaned up the previous files as I always do to free up space. 

    So now... I don't have the option to roll back. What's my best option in this case?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T14:50:50+00:00

    You could try to create a local user account with admin rights, sign on and search your original profile for zune, delete that file (I think it was a dll winzune something), and then sign on with your original profile and see if that clears it up. If it does then you can delete that local account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments