Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T01:38:32+00:00

    Hi!

       I've had the same problem. Every time I updated my profile was screwed up. I tried messing with the profile several times and always ended up doing an image restore to  the pre-1903 build. I think I finally found my problem because the update is working fine now. I'm not positive but it seems MS copies the profile to a temp .000 profile, deletes the profile, and then removes the .000 extension. I traced the file to a Zune HD file in my AppData folder. The file wouldn't delete. I had to open a command window, change attributes, and only then could I delete it. I did a final restore, deleted the Zune software, and then nuked every Zune file in my profile. To be on the safe side I also uninstalled VLC and Spybot S&D, since I have set up VLC to watch recorded TV on a separate PC and uninstalling Spybot is often necessary when doing an upgrade. The free version of Spybot won't pause protection, unlike most AV software, and it can sometimes block updates. It's not a big problem to reinstall these. After doing all this the upgrade worked fine the next time I did it. If your having problems, look in your profile and see what files didn't copy over to the .000 extension file. Restore your system to the earlier build, uninstall the software used by those files, nuke the remaining files, and then upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T08:35:41+00:00

    Ah interesting.  I too found the ZUNE files were all that was left in my original profile, and had trouble deleting them.  I did wonder whether that might be the cause.  I rolled back, and haven't had time to try a second time, but with your experiences, I think I now will (AFTER removing ZUNE and all its files - was it from back in the days I had a Windows Phone mobile??)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T17:00:29+00:00

    Yes all good.  Thanks for the tip.

    Getting rid of some Zune files was a nightmare.  Uninstalled Zune and hoped that would be the end of it.  Ha!  MS doesn't work like that.  I rebooted, and started (using the command line, takeown etc) to delete the folders in Appdata/Local/Packages named something like Microsoft.Zune/**** and /musicxxxxx, but as quick as I was removing them, something was recreating them.  I think there is something built into Windows which still uses these outdated folders.  So i Googled and found what I had to remove from Windows, then managed to delete these folders and files, and THEN the upgrade went without a hitch.

    I no longer have any trace of user.000 profile!!  Whew!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T18:29:05+00:00

    Sorry for all the trouble. I should've mentioned is that I created a new user with admin rights, signed on with that account, went into the original user profile, did a search on Zune, and then deleted those files. At least I think I did. It was kind of late and I had been at it for hours. It seems those files are left over from either a Zune or Xbox-Zune software package, and are marked as being in use when the user logs on. Since they're in use, the user can't delete them. Glad to hear it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-17T21:01:32+00:00

    By far the simplest solution is to roll back to the previous Windows 10 build WITHOUT messing about with or moving any of the files. The Update section of settings gives you a helpful link to do this and steps you through the process. The cause is an incomplete install of 1903 (which can be caused by legacy Zune files etc as described by others) and leaves you in a temporary .000 user directory. Rolling back gets rid of the temp .000 user and restores most things.

    The only corrections I had to make was in cloud-based apps that could no longer locate directories, including BT Cloud, Google Drive /Backup and One Drive. Once I had restored the previous Windows 10 I had to manually redirect these apps using a right-click on their taskbar icons  to the correct folders in my User section, as the failed install had redirected them to new folders within the temporary .000 user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments