Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T20:21:24+00:00

    I noticed that Zune may be my problem as well.  I'll try uninstalling Zune and see how it goes. Thanks for confirming.

    Hi Shannon,

    It wasn't that easy for me (is it ever with MS?)

    I first uninstalled ZUNE, and then (if you haven't rolled back yet) tried to delete the Zune files from my old profile.

    (sorry this is from memory, some months ago now, but trying to help you through it.)

    Then had to Google for how to delete those pesky files that ZUNE had left.  Found solution (not just right-click and delete!).

    Once I'd done that, I was able to RollBack successfully.

    And then update successfully.

    Sorry if this is a bit vague, and might be in the wrong order, but if MS won't help we have to try to help each other.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T15:50:23+00:00

    I noticed that Zune may be my problem as well.  I'll try uninstalling Zune and see how it goes. Thanks for confirming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-09T01:59:16+00:00

    I could not do This because it has been more than 10 days since the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-07T23:27:40+00:00

    @suzannecanfield

    After going through this painful problem, I re-read this thread and honestly all the causes and remediation steps are covered in the first page or two, so read carefully and check what applies to your situation.

    Identify which applications are causing the problem for Windows by examining files in the local appdata folder. Then rollback to 1809, uninstall applications that may be generating those files, delete the temp folder with the locked files, reboot a few times to make sure that those files aren't created again.  If you can get to that state, update to 1903 will succeed.

    In my case there was one set of files I could not get rid of, so ultimately I just went ahead with the upgrade and now my files are under "user.000" folder but I don't really care at this point.  I manually reconfigured the apps that were pointing to the old "user" folder.

    You can increase the likelihood of Windows upgrade success by uninstalling as many applications as possibly which you don't use, especially if you've gone through several versions of Windows on the PC over the years.

    Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T20:41:03+00:00

    Same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments