Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-28T15:58:55+00:00

    I remember, some months ago now, successfully getting rid of Zune, but not without a lot of Googling, and quite a bit of time and hair-tearing!  I agree with the above that it is probably worth fighting that now, rather than leave it for another future update.  Sorry I can't remember the details now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-28T15:39:35+00:00

    I have same issue and i cannot find workable solution:

    ...

    ive tried to rid myself of zune manually but cannot erase all the files on my drive and those that remain continue to pollute my user/tim folder

    ...

    can anyone help this situation?

    Tim, Zune is one of the most common culprits mentioned in this thread. In fact, you are in the same situation I was several months ago. As you said, it's too late to roll back Windows update so even if you get rid of all Zune remnants it won't resolve your home directory having been changed. I decided to live with it and I have switched to using the new .000 as my current home directory and fixed applications one-by-one as I discovered they were broken.

    Long story short, if you read/search for posts in this thread you'll find specific references to Zune registry keys and log files that caused this issue and how to remove them so that future updates might work better. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T11:21:29+00:00

    This was the position that I was also in, and I managed to resolve.

    1. Create another new user with full Admin rights
    2. Log in as that user to delete the problem files. (The locations have been posted earlier on this thread). You could try something like IOBits Uninstall utility to check that all traces of Zune have been removed.
    3. Then follow the methods previously described to reinstate the real tim folder rather than tim.000

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T11:08:04+00:00

    I have same issue and i cannot find workable solution:

    user/tim became user/tim.000

    i didnt use computer for three weeks after the failed update  so i cannot roll Back

    i had microsoft zune installed

    ive tried to rid myself of zune manually but cannot erase all the files on my drive and those that remain continue to pollute my user/tim folder

    Im stuck, cant tell what to try, but many things are not working (outlook is one, but other key software packages i have are all using user/tim  path and will not function. 

    can anyone help this situation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-21T16:06:38+00:00

    Do the update again. I recommend doing a backup before doing this, just in case. After the update, sign on with the temporary profile (.000). There should also be a profile with your original username. Somewhere in that original profile something is causing the problem. Usually it's a program or service, such as a .dll, that automatically starts when you sign on. Since those files are in use, Windows Update cannot move or delete those files and the update fails. Make a note of those files. Print or write them down, copy to a USB device, or anything that gives you the filenames. 

      Now, rollback the update and sign on. See which of the files that you made a note of above can be deleted. If it can be deleted, it's not the problem, and you can restore those deleted files. The ones that can't be deleted are the problem. Again, make a note of those files.

      There are several ways to delete those files but I find the easiest is to simply make a local account with administrator privileges. Shut down, restart, and then sign on to the new local account. Since this account has administrator privileges it can edit other profiles. Look in your original profile, find those files that are causing the problem, and delete them. Now Windows Update should work.

      After a successful update, delete that local profile you made. It's not needed anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments