Sleep not working since 1903 update. Support said that it was an issues with update. Has it been repaired?

Anonymous
2019-06-21T21:29:19+00:00

Has the glitch with 1903 been resolved?  MS support analyzed my system and determined that it was an issue with 1903.  I was told that this was a recurring glitch effecting many other users and was advised a rollback until the issue was resolved.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-22T01:11:26+00:00

    Hi Greg:

      I just downgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and now, when I click 'sleep' on the Start menu, my desktop computer shuts off, closing all the apps that were open. With Win 7, the same action (click 'sleep') would put the computer to sleep after ~3 seconds, and when I wanted to use it again, I could wiggle the mouse, and it would come up to the sign-in screen. I could sign in, and the previous apps were all there, with the previous files open, and I could simply resume my work. Now I must press the power button - AND the reset button!! - to start the computer, and I must open any apps from ground zero. I've read a lot of on-line 'help' for this issue, and tried numerous approaches, but to no avail. 

      Do you have any ideas of something to try?  I'd be happy to answer any questions about the computer (AMD processor) or actions I've taken.

      Thanks!

    Mark Peterson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-22T13:00:20+00:00

    I have read that there is some incompatibility issue w/video driver but w/my HP, even updating driver did not fix it. What I ended up doing was turning off sleep, etc. and turning on hibernation. When I want to close up for the day, I right click hibernate (start) and insure the on button turns off. Then when I start back in the morning I just have to hit the on button and wait and everything loads as I left it (you do have to re-enter your p/w). Make sure you wait until it completely shuts down or it won't work properly. This works for me most days but there is the occasional day when it won't work at all and I end up having to reboot. Sleep on an idle machine no longer works. My machine is barely a year old, btw. I don't expect any other resolution as it has been months and HP has not put out any further video card updates. Hopefully this will be something you can do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-22T13:14:42+00:00

    Thanks for your reply.  I have tried to turn off hibernate and sleep, they said to turn off is to select Never as the option but that doesn't work.  Still goes to sleep.  Do you  know of another way to turn off sleep and hibernate?  Windows 10 on solid state drive.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-22T13:39:24+00:00

    Under Power options from start/right click, I have battery and plugged screen/sleep to never.

    In Control Panel, sleep options (or search), go to advanced, set sleep there to never, hybrid sleep same, even hibernate to never. Disable wake times.

    These seem to be 2 separate places.

    Next, at Control Panel, Hardware/Sound, Power Options, System settings-set 'do nothing' for batt/plugged for press power button, press sleep button but set tohibernate for what to do when closing lid.

    Next click change settings that are currently not available. I have sleep and hibernate both checked.  Finally, go to your C:/ prompt and type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, enter. 

    I know this all seems counter intuitive but it took me a long time to find the combo that worked. Plus, I am not an IT person but everything I tried from online just wouldn't work. I really hope this works for you. It's a pain to have to wait for machine to come out of hibernate every a.m. instead of sleep but at least my system is shut down for the night and it won't take so long to set it up from scratch in the a.m. doing it this way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-22T14:26:58+00:00

    I hope you know these actions are not proven by anyone but me trying to get my system to shut down at night. Have you checked CP, power options, changed advanced power settings, display, set both to never? There are other places to change sleep as well but I think all the ones I have mentioned are all I needed to get it to stop going to sleep but allow me to hibernate. It was a lot of trial and error so I'm just sharing what I did. BTW, I initially set the powercfg to hibernate off, enter and then went back to turn on. IDK why but that seemed work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments