Sleep not working since 1903 update. Support said that it was an issues with update. Has it been repaired?

Anonymous
2019-06-21T21:29:19+00:00

Has the glitch with 1903 been resolved?  MS support analyzed my system and determined that it was an issue with 1903.  I was told that this was a recurring glitch effecting many other users and was advised a rollback until the issue was resolved.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T21:34:10+00:00

    Hi Joe. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 9 year Windows MVP here to help you.

    I have seen a couple of cases of Sleep problems lately which were both solved by the standard fixes I will give you.

    I will give you all possible fixes for Sleep, based on ten years troubleshooting it almost daily. If you need help performing any step just ask back:

    First confirm you have the Sleep options configured correctly as shown here:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-change....

    You might want to try Hibernate to succeed Sleep, or use Hibernate in place of Sleep - it's just a deeper sleep that actually powers off because desktop stored in RAM during sleep is written to hard drive hiberfile then powered off.

    Most Sleep problems are caused by the Display driver, so try updating yours from the PC or Device maker's Support Downloads web page for your full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service tag. While there make sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Network, Sound, USB and all other drivers by comparing those posted for download with the version and date of the corresponding ones in the Device Manager.

    If that doesn't help then in Device Manager on Display device Driver tab choose Roll back, Uninstall (then restart to reinstall) or try another one previously installed at Device Manager>Display adapter>Driver>Update Driver>Browse>Let me pick.

    In addition there are steps here to specifically troubleshoot Sleep mode problems: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-sle...

    What I do is go into Advanced Power options and set Display and Sleep to 1 minutes, Hibernate to 2 minutes, then after completing each step restart the PC and observe what happens for 3 minutes.

    Also did it previously work? Do you have a System Restore point from when it did?http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-t...

    This may have been caused by Windows Updates. Check which Updates were installed right before the problem began, and if necessary uninstall them from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Installed Update History.

    You can also try to roll back using System Restore to a point before this began: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-t...

    Then if an Update reinstalls and causes the same problem uninstall or roll it back again, then immediately hide it using the Hide Updates tool from Method Two here: https://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automat...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you'll wait to rate whether my post helped you, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T21:53:47+00:00

    In fact, sleep not working has not been reported as an issue with v.1903 - yet. Microsoft's official list of issues and their current status is here.

    I can't help you with "sleep not working." That would require me to guess at what you actually mean or make assumptions, and that might waste your time. But if you wouldn't mind saying exactly how sleep is not working, I'll give it my best shot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T22:11:05+00:00

    Before the update under Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Sleep, it was set to sleep after 10 minutes.  After the update the setting was the same but my machine would not go into sleep mode.  MS support checked my system and said that all of my drivers were compatible and up to date.  But there were a lot of similar complaints and they were working on a fix so we did a rollback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T22:17:17+00:00

    You pretty much covered the troubleshooting steps I did with MS support.  I was told that my system and drivers checked out fully compatible. and the issue was with the update.  I'm surprised that there's no mention of this issue in the link you provided.  I was told that it's something the MS team was working on.  And a quick search shows a lot of users with the same issue.  We did a rollback and everything is working like it was before the rollback.  Should I wait for a revised update or set aside an afternoon to get things working?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T22:21:31+00:00

    Hi Joe -

    As long as you know you have the very latest Display driver which is what is what is most responsible for Sleep, and tried everything else in the list which solves almost all other Sleep issues, then I'd wait until the Version Upgrade is offered as it should not be pushed to your hardware otherwise if there are indeed known issues as Support said.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments