I can confirm, this issue is resolved for me with today's Windows 10 1903 Cumulative Update KB4522355, 18362.449.
DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote Desktop Disconnect on Windows 10 x64 1903 (Fully Patched)
*** PROBLEM RESOLVED BY KB4522355 RELEASED OCTOBER 24TH 2019. ***
Two systems,
- Intel NUC with Iris Plus Graphics 655 running latest drivers 26.20.100.6890
- the other with Intel HD Graphics 2500 running latest drivers 5.33.48.5069
On completion of a remote desktop session, the target system shows high CPU utilisation (one core running at 100%) for DWM.EXE - the newer machine (Intel Iris Plus 655) will eventually crash several hours later - I suspect a memory leak such as the previous one affecting QuickSync.
If I change the drivers to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" then things return to normal re: DWM.EXE. It's not a long term fix as one of the machines is my Media Centre PC and I lose audio output on it, the other is a headless Plex server and I lose "Quick Sync" hardware transcoding.
Anyone else seeing this ? If so after a bit of digging I've identified a short term workaround.
I believe there is a problem with the Microsoft RDP code in 1903 (an area which seems to have had a major internal overhaul), and I document a successful workaround.
For clarity,
- the behavior started with 1903
- one system is an Intel NUC NUC8I7BEH PC with 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Memory and an Intel 760p 256Gb SSD; the other is a Chillblast Fusion Vacuum PC based on a P8H77-M motherboard. However other machines with nVidia GPU's are also affected, so this is NOT an Intel problem.
- my testing consists of using a third machine running Windows 10 x64 1903 (fully patched) to run the Remote Desktop client software. The "targets" I refer to are the two machines I mention acting as RDP Host machines. Both demonstrate the high CPU DWM.EXE after taking them over and then disconnecting (the NUC has an 8 core CPU so shows 12.5% CPU) and the other machine based on an Intel P8H77-M motherboard.
It seems Microsoft has done significant engineering to Remote Desktop in Windows 10 1903 and I now believe a significant bug exists in the Microsoft code.
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1903-may-update-black-screen-with/23c8a740-0c79-4042-851e-9d98d0efb539
- https://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/these-are-the-removed-and-deprecated-features-on-windows-10-1903/
In the first article a Microsoft employee mentions
<--------------------->
There’s a known issue with some of the old display drivers.**<I believe the issue I am facing is related to this area>
Display drivers report some of their capabilities upon load. In previous Windows versions this reported data wasn’t used or verified. Because of that, some of the old versions of the legacy display driver may report invalid data and it would be ignored. Starting with Windows 10 1903 RDP uses this data to initialize the session.
The best option is to install an updated display driver from the hardware manufacturer. If the new version is not available, you can workaround this by disabling the problematic driver in the device manager.
Our team has identified the issue and we are currently verifying the fix that will dynamically switch to the software renderer if the problematic driver is detected.
I will this thread when the fix will be included to the Windows Insider release.
<---------------------->
Further testing in my environment has shown that machines without Intel integrated graphics are also showing the problem.
In the second article it mentions a change to the RDP driver area
<--------------------->
XDDM-based remote display driver: Starting with this release the Remote Desktop Services uses a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) based Indirect Display Driver (IDD) for a single session remote desktop. The support for Windows 2000 Display Driver Model (XDDM) based remote display drivers will be removed in a future release. Independent Software Vendors that use XDDM-based remote display driver should plan a migration to the WDDM driver model. For more information on implementing remote indirect display driver ISVs can reach out to rdsdev@microsoft.com.
<--------------------->
As a workaround on all of my affected machines I have used Group Policy Editor to set
Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components
Remote Desktop Service
Remote Desktop Session Host
Remote Session Environment
Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections
to DISABLED
This forces RDP to use the old (and now deprecated XDDM drivers)
After rebooting, behaviour returns to normal and after disconnecting from an RDP session the RDP host (target machine) no longer shows DWM.EXE consuming CPU.
This isn't a long term fix (to rely on a deprecated feature). I also don't understand why only a limited number of users are affected, but for now, I'm up and running again, and hoping for a Microsoft fix.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2019-10-25T02:19:56+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-08-16T03:30:45+00:00 just glad i noticed this bug tbh
I have an old laptop with an I7 2820QM with Intel HD3000
i have noticed the last few times after i have remoted into it
i come back to the lockscreen the cpu fan is going nuts
At first i presumed it was microsoft upto no good during idle times
e.g. virus scans or something even though its disabled via GPE
1903 has so many bugs
-
Anonymous
2019-08-02T13:23:48+00:00 This fixed my issue. Thank you so much!
-
Anonymous
2019-07-29T07:44:54+00:00 Have the same issue with my old Lenovo Thinkpad X-220 that I uses as a server at home. To monitor the issue I use WSL to ssh into the target (RDP host/server/X-220) machine and list the dwm.exe processes:
$ alias showdwm='/mnt/c/Windows/System32/tasklist.exe /v | awk "/dwm/ {print $1, $8, $9, $10, systime()}"
dwm processes (one) before the RDP session. You can see that DWM-3 is "silent" and consumes no CPU
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384094
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384118
dwm processes during RDP session. Both processes are silent as can be seen by sampling the tasklist with some time in-between (here 27 seconds)
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384161
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-1 0:00:01 1564384161
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384188
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-1 0:00:01 1564384188
dwm processes after the RDP session ends. Now DWM-1, which was the process initated with RDP, begins to consume CPU. 13 seconds CPU consumption during 13 seconds of real time. Corresponds to 25% consumption on the machine.
Fan spins up.
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384207
dwm.exe Manager\DWM-1 0:00:06 N/A 1564384207
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384220
dwm.exe Manager\DWM-1 0:00:19 N/A 1564384220
My workaround, kill all dwm.exe processes:
$ alias killdwm='/mnt/c/Windows/System32/taskkill.exe /IM "dwm.exe" /F'
$ killdwm
SUCCESS: The process "dwm.exe" with PID 10972 has been terminated.
SUCCESS: The process "dwm.exe" with PID 9648 has been terminated.
Now we are back to one, silent, process
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384271
$ showdwm
dwm.exe Window Manager\DWM-3 0:00:00 1564384279
I don't know if that could be a solution, but why not terminate the RDP initiated dwm.exe process when the RDP session terminates? It seems at least for me that it is that process that causes the high CPU consumption.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-24T06:22:55+00:00 Seems the suggested workaround didn't work for one of my VM's. It keeps spiking the CPU when i disconnect from a RDP session.
Strange thing is that on my other VM it did work...
any other workarounds?