Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden. Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.
HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?
Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.
I'm using
and the what I need removed is
I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.
Please help.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello,
There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:
Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.
Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing.
Hope this helps!
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2019-08-22T12:44:21+00:00 I think you misunderstood the question/complaint that we have. It’s not the actual search bar or search button that we all hate. It’s the fact that Microsoft added a “feature” in a recent update and now when we click on Search, it shows a bunch of **** we don’t want to see. It used to just be a blank search box. Now if we want to avoid it, we have to change the way we do things and use the Windows key and start typing our search. Why can't they allow us to put it back the way it was? Why do they change things without giving us the ability to customize it the way we want it?
-
Anonymous
2019-08-25T15:10:23+00:00 Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden. Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.
As you can see in the screenshot, I have hidden the Search bar. I hate clutter on my taskbar. The task view is only there when CPU intensive applications don't let me press WinKey to switch virtual desktops.
That doesn't change a thing.
This hides the search icon, which is useful. It's the **** that MS loads with clicking the icon -" recent" applications (including those that MS thinks should be used often-but never used before) and recent files.
-
Anonymous
2019-08-26T15:36:01+00:00 Y Kalina
I think you are still missing the original poster's complaint. We SHOULD be able to click the "search" button on our taskbar and see a BLANK screen. Recently, Microsoft added a new "feature" that shows us recommended "top apps" at the top of our search screen. The person who originally posted this complaint also posted a screen shot (see above) There is no way to get rid of Microsoft's new feature. We shouldn't have to change the way we do a search just to avoid Microsoft's crappy new features.