HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-12T10:01:54+00:00

    Hi Netverse

    I have done all of the disabling as well and those 5 app icons still appear in the Top Apps area. I recently did a complete reset of my system to clean it up and I had to reinstall all of my software.  I never installed SIMPLE MAHJONG and I've never launched it but it is first on the list of apps.  It also does not list my most recently install apps.

    My top 5 apps remain the same all the time, in the same order. Not even the new programs I install or the apps I use every day, appear in the list.  I've never "searched" for BONUS COOKBOOKS but that is the 5th app icon in my search area.  It's stupid and makes no sense.  It sucks that Microsoft has this much control.

    Barbara

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-11T19:33:10+00:00

    Top Apps is yet another way for Microsoft to spy on you and track what software you use frequently. I don't care what items I used most in the jump list, so I disable that. I don't care about what places I visit on the web, so I disable that on the startup page.  You would think, with this, MS would get the picture. If you disable certain items on Windows 10, like I have, these top apps never change.  There is a flaw even in this feature.  Leave us to say, one uses Notepad/wordpad all the time, along with a few web browsers, and a photo editor on daily basis, so these items should be TOP APPS all the time, yet that isn't the case. Before I tweaked the OS, if I just installed some program, and didn't even launch, Windows would display it as a top App.  What does that mean? that means that MS is tracking every program you install regardless even if you don't use it,;at least that is how I sense what is going on.   I haven't found a Reg Tweak to remove the display of this, however, based on previous experience, I am sure, one could go into a certain program file with a hex editor and possibly it could be a DLL file that you could change to clear that out. Being this is a search feature, and tied into Cortana, a person would have to tinker there,  I haven't done this, but I disable everything I can in SETTINGS, and use Winaero tweaker to disable stuff, like Cortana, Web search from Desktop, etc, and at the end result, my top four apps remaing the same all the time, in the same order. Not even the new programs I install and even if I use them all day long, are not list.  I use chrome every day, and yet, it isn't listed as a top app. I use file manager, and system tools everyday, and yet, they are not listed. So this tells me, I can't remove TOP APPS, yet, I managed to disable SOFTWARE TRACKING BY MICROSOFT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-13T23:09:18+00:00

    Hi Barbara,

    Yes - in order to replace the existing apps shown you will first need to have the track search feature turned on (so that Microsoft will track the new app launches you wish to appear in the Top Apps list). Once you are happy with the apps listed, then turn that tracking option back off. 

    That should do the trick. It has worked for me twice now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments