HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-13T16:59:02+00:00

    Oh dear, not again.

    Having installed version 1903 I'm coming up against all the problems:

    • Washed out colours and grey taskbar, which I finally fixed by manipulating the Personalization settings.
    • Rich blue wallpaper replaced by light blue (see Windows/WEP folder). Had to fight with the permissions to get the previous wallpaper back.
    • Cortana icon appeared back in the settings menu, despite Cortana being turned off. Group Policy Editor failed to get rid of it, but manipulating the Registry did.
    • Language bar was added to the taskbar when I only have one default language and keyboard. After trawling through fine print in Settings I got rid of it.
    • "Group by" and "Sort by" preferences in folders were defaulted to something I have never set. I've been through and reset everything to what I had before.
    • Arrows appeared back on all desktop shortcuts, even though I had set them not to appear. I've now reset them again. MS, why do you keep messing with my settings?
    • Apps were deleted because they "don't work on this version of Windows". Nonsense. I re-installed them and they work perfectly.
    • Xbox Game Bar and Your Phone apps were added to the Programs Menu. I don't want either of these but they aren't deletable.....YET.
    • Then the problem with the Search Bar, for which nobody has found a solution yet. What possible use is this? It adds nothing and annoys everybody.

    This is the list after two days. I'll probably find more misbehaviour as time goes on, not to mention what will be added by version 1909 that landed today.

    Why, oh why does MS mess about with things that don't need fixing? I haven't found ONE, SINGLE improvement in version 1903. Only a lot of useless changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-04T18:39:54+00:00

    And mee

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-16T18:13:56+00:00

    add me to someone who has tried to turn this off but can't.  The feature needs to go.  Any tracking done on any software needs to be opt in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments