HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-22T09:28:57+00:00

    Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

    As you can see in the screenshot, I have hidden the Search bar. I hate clutter on my taskbar. The task view is only there when CPU intensive applications don't let me press WinKey to switch virtual desktops.

    That doesn't change a thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T11:28:58+00:00

    MS make changes that someone (many someone's) somewhere does not want with every version update, and to a lesser extent

    the cumulative updates.

    • No one on these forums has any direct influence with the MS developers Ivory Tower. The only recourse users have is to band

    about a million + Windows users together and complain via the Feedback app. This may get their attention.

    MS have made it more difficult to override a whole lot of default settings in their attempt to 'simplify' Windows through a general

    dumbing down, and by reducing the user customisation options further than any previous version of Windows.

    There is much to hate about the increase in MS's Big Brother attitude Win10, but like previous versions of Windows, there is more than

    one way to do most tasks, such as lacumb's suggestion in this instance. Use the alternatives, or don't. Up to you.

    [EDIT: I haven't tried it because I don't want to loose my saved Run commands (which I use a lot more than Search,

    so I was unaware of this change until now but ...

    it looks like the Top Apps come from the Start Menu > Most Used list, so if you don't mind the repercussions (A blank*, Most Used*, Run, and ? ),

    you could go to -  Taskbar Settings > Start   - where you may be able to rid Search  of these so called Top Apps by

    disabling - Show Most Used Apps ? ]

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T10:55:52+00:00

    lacrumb

    That is not the point.  The point is, Microsoft made a change that we don't want. I checked all the profiles on my PC and they all have the same "searched for" stuff even though it was only my profile that did the searching. And it now lists "top apps" which I don't need.  See original complaint above with screenshot.  That's what we are trying to get rid of.

    Barbara

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments