HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-13T23:09:18+00:00

    Hi Barbara,

    Yes - in order to replace the existing apps shown you will first need to have the track search feature turned on (so that Microsoft will track the new app launches you wish to appear in the Top Apps list). Once you are happy with the apps listed, then turn that tracking option back off. 

    That should do the trick. It has worked for me twice now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-09T13:48:34+00:00

    That doesn't keep it from showing. if you use the start menu key to do a search, and back out of it using backspace because, perhaps you want to change the search, the TOP APPS still appears.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-30T22:01:20+00:00

    I'm just posting to see if anyone resolved this and list what I've tried.

    I haven't found any registry entries, powershell commands or anything similar to remove 'top apps'.

    Even those programs that let you deeply customize Windows, don't have the option to disable it.

    Hiding the search box on the task bar does not resolve this problem, as suggested by someone here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments