HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-29T04:56:01+00:00

    This is not only invasive, I perceieve it as anti-trust violation, fraudulent and disrexpectful due to (a) the `recent' list is populated by products I do not use (b) all those products are Microsfot products.   

    This is blatant hijacking of my personal computer to undertake their marketing agenda. 

    Unfortunately, Microsoft just cannot desist from underhand tactics.  Coming from a pre-pacman, commodore, atari generation I find this Orwellian and highly insulting.  

    My disdain for Microsoft grows and grows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-09T14:16:00+00:00

    I replied before,  and MS you are stupid for adding this and this is why. 

    In settings > Start section. 

    Show more tiles on start -  Off 

    Show APP LIST on start -   ON 

    Show Recently Added apps -  OFF 

    Show MOST USED APPS  -  OFF (Greyed out)  ( To me is the same as TOP APPS being used, yet is OFF, there should be no list.) This is the same bull crap that is on HIstory of IE or any other browser. I have everything that you can think of OFF, history and all, yet this Crap 'TOP APPS" shows. 

    Show suggestions occassionally  in Start- OFF

    SHow recent Items in Jumplist,  - OFF. 

    Doesn't this tell you something MS, people don't want to have history tracking or even showing it.   

    SETTINGS >Permissions and History,  Cloud history, device history, etc, is   OFF. 

    Now only that, I disable WEB SEARCH via Tweak for  Cortana(Desktop search).

    I am checking to see if this can be tweaked via Registry  or maybe a file has to be modded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-25T15:10:23+00:00

    Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

    As you can see in the screenshot, I have hidden the Search bar. I hate clutter on my taskbar. The task view is only there when CPU intensive applications don't let me press WinKey to switch virtual desktops.

    That doesn't change a thing.

    This hides the search icon, which is useful. It's the **** that MS loads with clicking the icon -" recent" applications (including  those that MS thinks should be used often-but never used before) and recent files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments