HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-13T16:13:33+00:00

    Hi there, 

    There does not currently appear to be any way to remove that unwanted feature, but I believe I found a workaround for the moment. If you click on the search bar, then the settings icon, then "other privacy settings" near the bottom, a screen pops up that allows you to turn off a feature to prevent Windows from tracking app launches ("Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results"). From my initial testing it looks like Top Apps no longer updates after that setting it switched off.

    So what I did was repeatedly open several different generic apps (such as Word, Excel, calculator, etc.), until the Top Apps only showed those apps I just opened. Then I switched off that privacy setting. So far the Top Apps feature has not changed from those generic apps. 

    I hope this helps for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-22T09:28:57+00:00

    Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

    As you can see in the screenshot, I have hidden the Search bar. I hate clutter on my taskbar. The task view is only there when CPU intensive applications don't let me press WinKey to switch virtual desktops.

    That doesn't change a thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-17T20:18:53+00:00

    Also have same issue.  Microsoft please fix this!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments