HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?

Anonymous
2019-06-16T21:25:43+00:00

Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.

I'm using 

and the what I need removed is

I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.

Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-08-18T03:39:45+00:00

Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden.  Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-03T12:07:42+00:00

Hello,

There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:

Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.

Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-20T07:36:10+00:00

    I hate it too. I have voiced my opinion in feedback too. It is in the latest build as of June-2019. I am digging around inside Windows, trying to figure out a way to remove it. There is a setting that is off that applies to something similar, but apparently MS didn't put one to disable top apps. I believe I turned off just about everything I could find.  I am looking on the web to find a solution too, and when I do, I will Post it here. 

    This TOP APPS, and other **** like that, that is also in MS STORE, IE Top Apps, and all their other little antics about what other people like is BS.  

    I really don't care about TOP APPS, TOP GAMES< Favorite games, popular games, and/or apps. TO ME it is redundant repeating the same thing in different words. 

    I can see TOP Rated, but all the other labels they put for filters is plain Bull. 

    This isn't the only place on the web that I found someone complaining about TOP APPS.  Maybe I will ASK VG about it.  He seems to find a solution to stuff and maybe Winaero may have a solution too, as I use their Tweaking to turn off all kinds of stuff in Windows 10..  And what really pissed me off, is after the update that installed that extra **** in Search(desktop), they reset all my personal settings, everywhere and reset my Index settings, etc etc etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-26T15:36:01+00:00

    Y Kalina

    I think you are still missing the original poster's complaint.  We SHOULD be able to click the "search" button on our taskbar and see a BLANK screen.  Recently, Microsoft added a new "feature" that shows us recommended "top apps" at the top of our search screen.  The person who originally posted this complaint also posted a screen shot (see above)  There is no way to get rid of Microsoft's new feature.  We shouldn't have to change the way we do a search just to avoid Microsoft's crappy new features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T03:21:09+00:00

    I just noticed this today (Aug 17) and you're saying it come in with the June updates?  Wow, I'm oblivious.  But now that I know it's there, I want it gone.  It's annoying and unnecessary.  Microsoft, stop forcing this **** on us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments