Update to Windows 10 version 1903 stuck at 48%

Anonymous
2019-06-16T06:25:44+00:00

Hi I have a customer's Acer Aspire E1-572G laptop that crashed overnight doing the 1903 update. So I took it back to try to do it for her since she needs the laptop for work.

This is a standalone Workgroup laptop and not connected to a domain.

I have been trying for days to upgrade this laptop to Windows to version 1903.

The update downloads to 100% and then the laptop reboots to install 1903.

Nothing external is plugged in.

It consistently freezes at 48%.

There is a single C partition so nothing out of the ordinary.

The spinning circle stops.

I have left it alone overnight but nothing changes.

I have used the Windows 10 update troubleshooter.

I have uninstalled all third party apps other than Office 2016.

I have done a disk cleanup to clear out left over files

Currently it is on 1803 so has missed the 1809 upgrade.

I have tried downloading the update through the update option as well as using the media creation tool.

However with a USB stick plugged in I get the not able to upgrade error message because an external drive is plugged in!

I don't want to do a clean install because I don't have the reg key for my Office 2016. (Jellybean can't find the key).

Anyone else with this issue and managed to fix it please?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-08-04T13:00:47+00:00

Hello,

If you can't install a feature update using Windows Update, you can upgrade to latest Windows 10 version using its ISO file. 

Download the ISO file from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Then perform the upgrade, using this step-by-step guide:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-using-iso-file

Or you can also perform the clean install with this guide:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-02T06:45:12+00:00

    Not working in my case...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-22T01:08:46+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem and I have tried almost everything mentioned. It hangs at 48%. I have tried to upgrade now 3 times. Where is Microsoft on this issue? I notice that this post has been viewed over 8000 times. Clearly it is not an insignificant issue. If my computer was my vehicle, I would be freaking out. As it is I need my computer for my work and I am getting increasingly upset with Microsoft. I am almost at the point of admitting defeat and going to a completely Apple environment. I have never had to spend 5 or 6 hours a week fixing software problems on my Apple machines. This situation is ridiculous. Microsoft, wake up, or you are going to lose a customer permanently!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-22T07:20:03+00:00

    This is what worked for me when I had the 48% issue...

    I needed to update the bios so I could install an i7 9700K, because the board was engineered originally for the 8th Gen. I used the AI 3 Suite to upgrade my motherboard. With the fresh updated bios and adding the i7 9700k, I also used the Intel Update Assistant and also downloaded and installed all the updates for the ASUS motherboard support. After this was all said and done there was no issues updating to the 1903 build. I  can't say what exactly fixed the issue. I suggest making sure your bios is up to date and the Intel Chipset & ME and specter/zombie mitigations are done first. Make sure you don't have any unnecessary startup programs. I wish you the best of luck if you can't just put a new processor in there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-23T06:31:39+00:00

    i unistalled all vga graphics drivers  and the installation continued

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments