Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-29T00:40:43+00:00

    I repaired the damage and continued to use the .000 profile. The only other alternative is to revert back to the previous version before it is too late. Remove Zune. Reinstall 1903.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-31T20:51:08+00:00

    This might not work for everyone, but I had this problem too, and was able to "fix" it.

    I saw that the newly created second username folder only had a few files in it, belonging to Zune. Just as an experiment, I did 2 things:

    Firstly, I rolled back windows, and then uninstalled Zune, and removed any old Zune file/folder I could get to (a lot of old Zune files are out of reach because Windows won't let you in those folders), and then restarted my computer freshly.

    Secondly, I also unplugged my external hard drives, because someone from Windows had this mentioned in a list of actions I could do, and this was a simple thing to try, so that is why I did it.

    Then I let Windows download and install the update (which was now called 1909 for some reason, in stead of 1903), and it worked. I had my normal username folder, and no .000 folder.

    So I am not sure which was the exact fix. I remember though that it happened before that Windows 10 updates had problems when hard drives were plugged in, so this could very well be the issue again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-31T22:06:41+00:00

    I've just noticed 1909 and installed it on my daughter's computer (which did not have 1903, but she didn't have ZUNE either.  I think I installed that on my PC when years ago I had a Windows Phone!) and there were no problem.

    I do wonder whether MS have actually sorted the problem out for the 1909 feature upgrade?  If so, well done MS.

    Though it could just be that you had done what several, including myself, did, and removed the ZUNE bits and pieces?

    My personal view is that the external HD is a red herring, and that it was ZUNE causing the problem for most of us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments