Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T17:33:27+00:00

    As DaveM121 (replier to my original posts, an independent adviser) stated: this is a "mess created by Windows Updates". The update process is very clearly not pre-checking or post-checking systems effectively. When the update fails, MS themselves, are offering no automatic solution to rectify this - why on earth should users in this thread and elsewhere be forced to find possible solutions themselves?

    If a Windows Update breaks your system - as it clearly can with this update - I'd strongly suggest that no court in any land would define this as 'reasonable behaviour', despite what MS small print might say, lurking underneath. Would be interesting to see what a panel of judges would make of this...perhaps the same 11 Judges in the recent, and very interesting, UK Supreme Court prorogation case might get involved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-17T02:20:12+00:00

    Hi,

    I am having the same issue. If I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 (1903 version) then I do not have anything to roll back to or do I? Please let me know how to do this. I have two user files, my old user file with one file in it and the new file user>name.000 with all my files in there. Even my one drive, google drive and dropbox files are there so I need to know where to put the copy of the all the files from the .000 file so they won't be deleted. I don't know what to do. I need to have this fixed because I need these files for work. This is the very reason I didn't want to upgrade from windows 7 in the first place years ago. I never had one issue in all of the years I used Windows 7.  Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-27T23:35:48+00:00

    I have now had exactly the same problem with two computers and in both cases have had to roll back from 1903 to the previous version. I stupidly assumed that, since the first time this happened was months ago on a different computer, that Microsoft would have fixed the bug.

    (To explain: the update created a new user with .000 at the end and put everything from the proper user's folder there. The result was that Outlook did not work (because it was looking in the wrong place for the .pst file) and it couldn't access Onedrive. I did not stop to find other lost functionality before rolling back.)

    I am not a superuser and don't want a "try this, it might work" kind of solution. I want Microsoft to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-02T15:56:29+00:00

    Thanks for the reply. My OTHER problem is that I cannot roll back to a previous update since this was a first time install of Windows 10 on that computer. I was able to copy important files and put in new folders then change the permissions on all of the files affected and now am able to use them, but everything new created or downloaded goes straight into .000 folder and I have to move it to its usable place.  It is really aggravating that microsoft can't fix this since they created it. Now I have two of everything and it is taking up alot of space since I have a lot of files. If anyone from microsoft reads this please help. I am wondering if I can delete everything in .000 and just let it sit empty until something is downloaded or installed then move the new. Sooooo frustrating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-10T15:11:34+00:00

    I have the same issue. Someone commented that Zune caused the problem but didn't give detailed information on how they rectified the problem. I think Zune also caused my problem. I left my files in the ,000 profile. I had to create a new profile for Outlook and reconfigure my multiple email accounts and .pst files. Not an easy task. One Drive needed to be reconfigured. Quicken couldn't find data file. Other than that the upgrade went beautifully. I have decided to continue using the system with my files in the .000 profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments