Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-18T10:31:42+00:00

    I have this exact same issue.  Unfortunately it first occurred a couple of weeks ago right before I went on vacation.  I didn't have time to look into it then, so am just getting round to it now.  However, I no longer have the option to go back to the previous version of Windows 10 because it's been more than 10 days!

    Are there any other solutions that anyone can suggest?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-29T16:36:47+00:00

    Update 29/08/19:

    While I wasn't in scope to receive the 1903 update via Windows Update in my original and later posts (I tried to install via MS website), that's now changed since Windows Update has informed me that it has just tried to install 1903, and failed - error code: 0x80240034.

    If the mess 1903 made of my system, as described in detail above, is about to repeat itself (i.e. MS has made no changes to prevent this) then I ask that you prevent this 'update' from installing on my system.

    I have deferred update installs for the max I can, 35 days - but that prevents all other updates too and I don't want that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-27T16:28:58+00:00

    I posted a reply to the original question but nobody answered after over a week so I figured I should have replied to this answer instead.  Copying question below, hope you can help.  Thanks.


    I have this same problem.  Not sure that it's specific to 1903, when googling the problem I've seen it happen to other people after upgrading to 1703 and 1803 (I think).

    I've tried rebooting numerous times as DaveM121 suggested with no luck.  I also did a system restore to the restore point before the 1903 upgrade, also with no luck.

    I've been using my laptop for a few weeks since this happened.  Except for being weird, I'm not actually having any problems with all of my user files being in the Rick.000 folder, except for the shortcuts in my Quick access list not working because they were still pointing to my old user files.  No problems with opening Recent files in Word or Excel, or any other problems I can think of.  So unless someone can come up with a solution soon that actually works, I think I'll just leave things as they are and update my shortcuts.  And hope that it doesn't happen again after the next upgrade.

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T16:15:29+00:00

    I have this same problem.  Not sure that it's specific to 1903, when googling the problem I've seen it happen to other people after upgrading to 1703 and 1803 (I think).

    I've tried rebooting numerous times as DaveM121 suggested with no luck.  I also did a system restore to the restore point before the 1903 upgrade, also with no luck.

    I've been using my laptop for a few weeks since this happened.  Except for being weird, I'm not actually having any problems with all of my user files being in the Rick.000 folder, except for the shortcuts in my Quick access list not working because they were still pointing to my old user files.  No problems with opening Recent files in Word or Excel, or any other problems I can think of.  So unless someone can come up with a solution soon that actually works, I think I'll just leave things as they are and update my shortcuts.  And hope that it doesn't happen again after the next upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T18:38:41+00:00

    Appreciate the update and well done on problem solving your own issue!

    For me, I'll be re-installing Windows 10 from scratch on a new motherboard once I move over to Zen2 in a few months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments