Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-28T15:21:35+00:00

    Is there a solution for this problem yet? I have the same issue since the 1909 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-19T19:35:01+00:00

    Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.

    I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.

    I found that the MS roll back facility provided under 'Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous Version of Windows' worked fine for me, rather than using my backups.  What I did before backing up was looked in my old user profile (without the 000) to find the files which were causing the update to fail, and in my case they were ZUNE files.  They were not easy to delete and I failed to keep a log of what I did, but I remember googling 'how to remove ZUNE files' . . . I seem to remember that they kept on popping back up every time I deleted them, and I had to stop some service(s).

    So I then rolled back, deleted the ZUNE files from my profile, then installed the update successfully.  I don't use ZUNE now, so was happy to delete the files.  You may need to restore them from backup if you follow my procedure?

    Good luck.

    Huh. I find Zune files under Program Files, but not under my user profile, so I'd guess that's not the problem in my case. I've already rolled back from a disk image, so I can't check what was left in my original profile after the creation of .000, but there were a few things. I wonder if they had the same effect as the Zune files in your case.

    I had to use the disk image restore (one time, at least) because MS tech support had me do a "clean" install of the update--which failed just as badly as the regular, but left me without the option to roll back from within Windows Update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-19T10:38:04+00:00

    Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.

    I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.

    I found that the MS roll back facility provided under 'Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous Version of Windows' worked fine for me, rather than using my backups.  What I did before backing up was looked in my old user profile (without the 000) to find the files which were causing the update to fail, and in my case they were ZUNE files.  They were not easy to delete and I failed to keep a log of what I did, but I remember googling 'how to remove ZUNE files' . . . I seem to remember that they kept on popping back up every time I deleted them, and I had to stop some service(s).

    So I then rolled back, deleted the ZUNE files from my profile, then installed the update successfully.  I don't use ZUNE now, so was happy to delete the files.  You may need to restore them from backup if you follow my procedure?

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-19T09:54:39+00:00

    Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.

    I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-10T15:11:34+00:00

    I have the same issue. Someone commented that Zune caused the problem but didn't give detailed information on how they rectified the problem. I think Zune also caused my problem. I left my files in the ,000 profile. I had to create a new profile for Outlook and reconfigure my multiple email accounts and .pst files. Not an easy task. One Drive needed to be reconfigured. Quicken couldn't find data file. Other than that the upgrade went beautifully. I have decided to continue using the system with my files in the .000 profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments