Is there a solution for this problem yet? I have the same issue since the 1909 update.
Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files
Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2019-12-28T15:21:35+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-12-19T19:35:01+00:00 Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.
I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.
I found that the MS roll back facility provided under 'Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous Version of Windows' worked fine for me, rather than using my backups. What I did before backing up was looked in my old user profile (without the 000) to find the files which were causing the update to fail, and in my case they were ZUNE files. They were not easy to delete and I failed to keep a log of what I did, but I remember googling 'how to remove ZUNE files' . . . I seem to remember that they kept on popping back up every time I deleted them, and I had to stop some service(s).
So I then rolled back, deleted the ZUNE files from my profile, then installed the update successfully. I don't use ZUNE now, so was happy to delete the files. You may need to restore them from backup if you follow my procedure?
Good luck.
Huh. I find Zune files under Program Files, but not under my user profile, so I'd guess that's not the problem in my case. I've already rolled back from a disk image, so I can't check what was left in my original profile after the creation of .000, but there were a few things. I wonder if they had the same effect as the Zune files in your case.
I had to use the disk image restore (one time, at least) because MS tech support had me do a "clean" install of the update--which failed just as badly as the regular, but left me without the option to roll back from within Windows Update.
-
Anonymous
2019-12-02T15:56:29+00:00 Thanks for the reply. My OTHER problem is that I cannot roll back to a previous update since this was a first time install of Windows 10 on that computer. I was able to copy important files and put in new folders then change the permissions on all of the files affected and now am able to use them, but everything new created or downloaded goes straight into .000 folder and I have to move it to its usable place. It is really aggravating that microsoft can't fix this since they created it. Now I have two of everything and it is taking up alot of space since I have a lot of files. If anyone from microsoft reads this please help. I am wondering if I can delete everything in .000 and just let it sit empty until something is downloaded or installed then move the new. Sooooo frustrating!
-
Anonymous
2019-11-17T02:20:12+00:00 Hi,
I am having the same issue. If I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 (1903 version) then I do not have anything to roll back to or do I? Please let me know how to do this. I have two user files, my old user file with one file in it and the new file user>name.000 with all my files in there. Even my one drive, google drive and dropbox files are there so I need to know where to put the copy of the all the files from the .000 file so they won't be deleted. I don't know what to do. I need to have this fixed because I need these files for work. This is the very reason I didn't want to upgrade from windows 7 in the first place years ago. I never had one issue in all of the years I used Windows 7. Please help!
-
Anonymous
2019-10-01T22:13:31+00:00 In the same boat here - update downloaded/installed while I was away and I didn't even notice the .000 profile. But now Dropbox is giving me a permissions error. When I do whoami I get C:\users\name.000 on the command line but it returns pc name\name correctly. When I go in to look at user accounts I only see my primary profile - the .000 only appears in the file explorer.
I have this exact same issue. Unfortunately it first occurred a couple of weeks ago right before I went on vacation. I didn't have time to look into it then, so am just getting round to it now. However, I no longer have the option to go back to the previous version of Windows 10 because it's been more than 10 days!
Are there any other solutions that anyone can suggest?