You start by hitting New Message. Then just start adding recipients on the right-hand column. After you select a recipient, it drops down and the TO field is ready for another.
Interesting that this works for you as the exact opposite happens for me. I get as far as "select a recipient" and it immediately creates a message for that recipient alone, and removes the "TO" field.
I find different behavior depending on whether there is already a message thread with the first recipient.
Try this: Enter the first name in the "To" Box. Rather than hitting enter, Right Click on the box. The box stays and the first name is dropped below as a recipient.
Ok, thank you all for providing details of how the updated app works on your machines. It is apparent that there is no "one" way that it performs and that different steps are needed depending on your device. The "right clicking" did nothing on my Surface Pro 7...it simply created an SMS for the one contact. However I have now found that these steps work for my device:
- Begin by clicking "+ New Message". This will create a new blank message with the "To:" field blank.
- Start typing in the name of your first contact. Once that contact shows up in the drop-down list DO NOT CLICK ON IT. Instead,
- click the "+ New Message" button once again. This will immediately place the first contact as a recipient and clear the "To:" field to be ready to type in the second contact.
- Repeat step #3 as many times as necessary to add all the contacts for this group text.
I cannot grasp why the app is so device specific for this one task...I'm only happy that we each have found ways to make it work on our respective devices.